District college notes: Seton Hill coach named manager of the year
College Football Videos
Seton Hill baseball coach Marc Marizzaldi was named the 2013 Rotary Club of Pittsburgh Collegiate Manager of the Year.
He will be honored at the annual Chuck Tanner Awards banquet Nov. 16 at the Rivers Club in Pittsburgh. Tickets for the event are available at www.chucktannerbanquet.com or calling 412-471-6210.
Marizzaldi has amassed a 336-194 record during his tenure and has elevated the program to national prominence.
“It is a huge honor, not just to receive the award, but for what the award stands for and what (former Pittsburgh Pirates Manager) Chuck Tanner stands for,” said Marizzaldi, who grew up in Baldwin and is a Pirates fan. “The meaning behind the award is very special to me.
“This award is just a reflection of the success of our players. The reputation of our program now is one of a regional and national competitor. It took a lot of hard work to get it to that point, so this award is really recognizing not only our accomplishments of 2013 but of all our past and present players.”
Marizzaldi has posted a .634 winning percentage since the program's first season in 2004. Seton Hill baseball has captured six regular season division titles, two conference championships and one World Series berth in its seven years of postseason eligibility in both the NAIA and the NCAA. With just five official seasons at the NCAA level, the Griffins have enjoyed four straight trips to the NCAA tournament.
In 2013, Marizzaldi earned his third consecutive West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Coach of the Year honor as well as Regional Coach of the Year from the NCBWA.
Seton Hill golf champion
Seton Hill junior Morgan Miller earned the first Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Championship in school history when she won the PSAC Women's Golf Championships at Hershey Country Club's East Course on Sunday. Miller backed up her first round of 76 with a round of 78 on Sunday to earn the championship.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- After long wait to be a starter, Forsythe producing big yards for Waynesburg
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- District college notes: St. Vincent names women’s assistant coach
- Valley grad Brennan leads W&J tennis team into PAC finals
- Cal U hopes to avoid getting ‘trapped’
- As coach predicted, Jeannette grad Cox playing big role for Michigan State
- Jeannette grad, Mount Union not taking opponent lightly in ‘mismatch”
- District college notebook: Debo sets Edinboro career goals record
- District football preview: The Rock, IUP look to keep pace in PSAC West