Cal U booters get top seed in Atlantic Region
College Football Videos
No. 6 Cal U earned the top seed in the Atlantic Region and hosting rights for the opening weekend of the NCAA Tournament.
The Vulcans' women's soccer team will host the opening two rounds of the NCAA Tournament at the Phillipsburg Soccer Facility Friday through Sunday.
Fourth-seeded West Chester and fifth-seeded Kutztown will play a first-round game at 2 p.m. Friday. The Vulcans will face the winner of that game at noon Sunday.
Slippery Rock earned the second seed in the region, plus the other opening-round bye, and will face the winner of third-seeded Shippensburg and sixth-seeded Shippensburg on Sunday.
The Atlantic Region second-round winners will play the third round at the highest remaining seed in the East Region, where No. 4 Saint Rose (N.Y.) received the top seed.
The Vulcans earned an automatic berth to the NCAA Tournament after winning the PSAC Tournament over the weekend. Cal U has posted a 5-1-1 record against the other teams from the Atlantic Region in the field, with the only loss coming in the season-opener at Slippery Rock.
Under second-year head coach Gene Smith, Cal U has a 17-2-2 overall record and a current 18-game unbeaten streak (17-0-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Sleith ends softball career at Robert Morris in perfect fashion
- Mercyhurst baseball eliminated from NCAA Tournament
- Penn Hills grad lifts La Roche baseball into playoffs with stellar year
- District college notebook: Uniontown grad Sanner makes history for Seton Hill
- Jeannette grad Hall makes impact during freshman season with Carlow softball
- Tampa pitcher silences Mercyhurst in NCAA Division II College World Series
- Ex-Blackhawk star pitcher McKay thriving on mound at Louisville
- Grove City’s Fritz keeps collecting hits
- Another All-American finish for Slippery Rock javelin thrower, Gateway grad Taylor
- Yough’s Zadecky named new AD at Penn State Fayette
- Campus clippings: Barto named PSAC’s top freshman golfer