Plum grad Pietropola off to a successful start in Penn State-Behrend pool
College Football Videos
Mia Pietropola concluded her Plum High School swimming career at WPIALs last March with four swims, and she was a part of the Mustangs 200 freestyle relay squad that established a new school record.
Now, the freshman at Penn State-Behrend is starting to make her mark in the collegiate pool as a freshman for the Lions women's squad.
Pietropola has won a team-best 10 events (nine individual, one relay) over Behrend's first six meets.
She claimed the 100 and 200 breaststroke events and swam the opening leg of the winning 400 free relay in a loss at Westminster on Oct. 26.
Pietropola came back Nov. 2 at Allegheny and repeated wins in both breaststroke events and added her first win of the season in the 200 IM.
She won the 100 breast for the third time against Baldwin Wallace on Nov. 16, and she added her first win in the 50 free.
Pietropola picked up a pair of wins against Chatham on Nov. 22 — the 200 IM and 100 breast.
Behrend found it tough sledding against Gannon on Nov. 26, as the Lady Golden Knights won all 13 events in a 192-37 victory.
But Pietropola led the way for the Lions with a pair of individual second-place finishes in the 100 IM (1:05.93) and the 50 breaststroke (33.38).
She also placed fourth in the 100 freestyle (58.45).
For her efforts, Pietropola, it was announced Monday, was named the Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference Female Swimmer of the Week.
It was the second such honor for her this season.
Pietropola and the rest of the Behrend women's swim team will return to action Friday at the three-day Fredonia State Blue Devil Invitational.
The Lions swim at Penn State-Altoona on Dec. 14 at 1 p.m.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Franklin Regional grads named to collegiate anniversary teams
- Gateway grad claims title, Cal U record at PSAC indoor track championships
- Plum grad named to PAC’s anniversary softball team
- Plum’s Dedert helps St. Vincent men’s basketball win PAC crown
- La Roche, St. Vincent get one more shot in D-III tournaments
- WCCC women’s basketball team captures 3rd straight conference championship
- District college notebook: W&J wrestler Carr advances to D-III championships
- Cal U women overcome Gannon in PSAC quarterfinal
- Campus clippings: Edinboro’s Schrecongost bound for D-II nationals
- College notes: St. Vincent men win PAC tournament
- St. Vincent men, La Roche women open NCAA D-III tourney Friday