West Virginia wrestler and Latrobe graduate Pennesi places fourth at Reno
College Football Videos
West Virginia senior and Latrobe graduate Nathan Pennesi (133 pounds) placed at the Tournament of Champions in Reno, Nev., for the fourth time in his career. The fourth-place finish is the third-best showing of his career at the tournament.
Pennesi's best finish came in 2010, when he finished in second.
“That is a heck of an accomplishment,” WVU wrestling coach Craig Turnbull said. “It takes a lot of work to do this and wrestle all of those matches in one day. It really shows how good Nathan is and how diligent he is. He has to earn every point and match, and he consistently has done so.”
Pennesi opened the tournament with a pin over Everett Pratt of Cal State Bakersfield. Pennesi followed with a pin in Round 3 over Ty Stevenson of Boise State before losing to Devon Lotito of Cal Poly, 11-5.
He won three matches in the consolation bracket before losing to Lotito once again, this time 5-1 in the third-place bout.
Gulibon earns start against Iowa
Penn State redshirt freshman Jimmy Gulibon earned a start against Iowa on Saturday. Even though he was pinned by Tony Ramos, the former PIAA four-time champion from Derry is starting to share mat time with Jordan Conaway.
Gulibon is 4-6 while wrestling at the 133-pound weight class.
He wrestled in Open tournaments as a freshman.
St. Vincent men start 2-0 in PAC
A strong shooting performance carried the St. Vincent men's basketball team to an easy 92-66 victory against Washington & Jefferson in Presidents' Athletic Conference action.
Isaac Turner scored 30 points, and Dillon Stith added 22 for the Bearcats, who are 2-0 in the conference and 8-2 overall.
St. Vincent doesn't return to action until Jan. 2 at Penn State Fayette.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- College notebook: Seton Hill baseball team signs 4
- District college notes: SVC’s Mathers gets PAC honor
- Campus clippings: Pitt-Greensburg’s Heinle named player of the week
- Fox Chapel grad nabs all-conference women’s soccer honor at Allegheny
- What’s on tap in NCAA women’s basketball
- District college notebook: Bowman’s hat trick comes in milestone wins for PSU women’s hockey
- Jeannette native vying for D-III football title with Mount Union
- Cal U men, women sweep Shippensburg
- Vulcan women perfect in PSAC
- Cal U 2014-15 Hall of Fame class set