District college notebook: Edinboro wrestlers finish second in 47-team event
By Jeff Vella
Published: Tuesday, Dec. 31, 2013, 3:18 p.m.
• The wrestling team finished second behind Iowa at the 47-team Midlands Championships that concluded Monday at Northwestern, matching its best finish in program history. Redshirt junior Mitchell Port, ranked No. 1 in the country, won the title at 141 pounds. Four other Fighting Scots wrestlers medaled.
Washington & Jefferson
• Senior forward Chelsea Apke (Mt. Lebanon) was named tournament MVP, and sophomore forward Beka Bellhy (Fort Cherry) earned a spot on the all-tournament team as the Presidents (7-3) rolled past Lehman, 89-62, to win the Lehman College Coaches vs. Cancer Classic on Sunday. Junior center Valerie Dunlap (Latrobe) added 18 points and 10 rebounds in the title game.
• Junior Courtney Klein had eight points, a career-best 15 rebounds and a career-high four blocks to help the Titans snap a five-game losing streak with a 71-44 win at Pitt-Greensburg on Saturday.
• Penn State women's soccer players Mallory Weber and Brittany Basinger were named to the U.S. roster for the CONCACAF U-20 Championship, which is Jan. 9-19 in the Cayman Islands. Penn State coach Erica Walsh will serve as an assistant.
• West Virginia hired former U.S. men's national team player Mike Lapper as an assistant men's soccer coach.
• No. 1 Penn State and No. 12 Pitt will compete in the Southern Scuffle on Wednesday and Thursday at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga. The event features 34 All-Americans, four national champions and 135 NCAA qualifiers. Penn State has won the past three team titles.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Intangibles make Jeannette grad Cortazzo stand out for Gannon softball
- Plum grad helps CCAC hockey team reach nationals
- District college notebook: Waynesburg upsets Thomas More
- UPG captures Collegiate Ice Hockey Association Division III national title
- Seton Hill, UPG square off at Pirates spring training home
- District college notes: Latrobe grad earns All-ACC honors
- St. Vincent women’s track team finds early success
- District college notes: Strong pitching has Seton Hill baseball on top
- District college notes: St. Vincent women’s lacrosse runs win streak to 5
- Healthy Siegel using his head with Mercyhurst
- Confident Hayden taps potential with IUP lacrosse team