District college notebook: Top-ranked PSU wrestling team keeps rolling
• The top-ranked Penn State wrestling team won its fourth straight Southern Scuffle on Thursday in Chattanooga, Tenn. Freshman Zain Retherford won the title at 141 pounds and improved to 17-0 this season, and No. 1David Taylor earned the title at 165 pounds. At 184 pounds, top-ranked Ed Ruth lost in the finals, snapping an 84-match winning streak that dated to his freshman year.
• Tyler Wilps (Chartiers Valley) was No. 12 Pitt's top finisher at the Southern Scuffle, placing fourth at 174 pounds.
• IUP senior Marcel Souberbielle scored 19 of his 26 points in the second half, helping the sixth-ranked Crimson Hawks (12-0, 3-0 PSAC) rally past Lock Haven, 70-64, on Saturday. IUP leads the nation in scoring defense, allowing 57.5 points per game.
• Cal (Pa.) women's basketball guard Miki Glenn scored 28 points in a 95-90 win over Shippensburg on Friday, the most by a Vulcans freshman since 2007-08.
• Washington & Jefferson College senior wide receiver Alex Baroffio (Bethel Park) was a second-team selection on the D3football.com All-America team.
• Penn State junior Randi Lau, a transfer from LSU, placed first on the vault and second in the all-around to help the Penn State gymnastics team edge Iowa State, 193.925-193.550, in the season opener.
• The Penn State men's hockey team hosts No. 1 Minnesota at 7 p.m. on Sunday and Monday.