Local college notebook: St. Vincnent men's basketball stip atop PAC
College Football Videos
Wins against Grove City and Bethany have the St. Vincent men's basketball team in first place in the Presidents Athletic Conference. The Bearcats are 12-2 overall and 5-0 in the conference.
Isaac Turner had 24 points and Dillon Stith 23 as St. Vincent defeated Bethany, 83-77. J.C. Howard added 15 in the win.
Stith reached the 1,000-point milestone for his career.
Earlier in the week, St. Vincent held on to defeat Thiel, 76-69.
The Bearcats raced to a 47-29 lead in the first half, but the visiting Tomcats chipped away in the second half.
Turner led the way with 25 points. Stith added 14, and Ben Klimchock (Greensburg Central Catholic) and Howard each had 12. St. Vincent has won eight in a row.
St. Vincent women extend streak to 4
The St. Vincent women raced out to an 11-4 lead and coasted to a 78-53 victory against Bethany on Saturday. The win extended to Bearcats winning streak to four and improved their record to 9-4 and 6-0 in the Presidents' Athletic Conference.
Freshman Maria Benvenuti (Franklin Regional/Murrysville) led St. Vincent with 18 points, and Taylor Mathers had 16 points and nine rebounds.
Earlier in the week, all 15 players scored at least two points as St. Vincent rolled to a 92-48 victory against Thiel.
Mathers scored 12 points, and Ally Schmidt and Susie Ellis each scored 11.
St. Vincent will host Thomas More at 2 p.m. Saturday for first place in the PAC.
SVC swimmers return with sweep
The St. Vincent swimming teams each improved to 2-4 by sweeping a meet against Pitt-Bradford.
The women won 131-94 and the men 127-109.
Latrobe native Alyssa Taylor won the 1,000 freestyle, and Zach Ligus (Norwin) won the 100 and 200 freestyle events.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- VND Campus clippings: Leechburg graduate Barto picks up initial college victory at Gannon
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- District college notes: St. Vincent women win twice
- Former Springdale soccer star creating opportunities for La Roche teammates
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area grad Smith inducted into Bethany Hall of Fame
- District football preview: Preseason favorites IUP, Cal (Pa.) still finding full potential
- Cal U-IUP vie in Coal Bowl