District college notebook: Pitt wrestling team whips 3 foes at weekend Duals
College Football Videos
• The 12th-ranked wrestling team (8-1, 3-0 ACC) beat Duke, Buffalo and Davidson by a combined score of 109-25 at the Pitt Duals on Sunday. Seven Pitt wrestlers went 3-0, including Anthony Zanetta (Keystone Oaks) and Tyler Wilps (Chartiers Valley).
• Senior Gabby Holko (Mt. Alvernia) averaged 20.5 points and 5.0 assists in two victories last week. The Titans (7-6, 4-2 PAC) are on a five-game winning streak.
• Junior Valerie Majewski recorded the fourth triple-double in school history in a 94-74 win over Shippensburg on Wednesday. She finished with 25 points, 12 assists, and 11 rebounds. She then scored 27 points in an 83-75 win against Slippery Rock on Saturday.
• Volleyball player Nick Goodell (Ambridge) had 13 kills and seven digs to help the No. 11 Nittany Lions (1-2) to a sweep of No. 12 Ohio State (0-3) at the Outrigger Invitational on Saturday.
• Goaltender Jimmy Sarjeant made a career-high 51 saves in the Lakers' 1-0 victory over Holy Cross on Friday, earning his first career shutout. Mercyhurst (13-9-2, 11-1-1 Atlantic Hockey Association) then beat Holy Cross, 4-2, on Saturday behind three goals by Chris Bodo and 36 saves from Sarjeant.
• Freshman forward Courtney Sargent set personal bests with 29 points and 18 rebounds in a 78-71 loss at Westminster on Saturday. of NOTE
• Pitt-Johnstown's Nicole Carman scored on a driving layup with 6 seconds left to give the Mountain Cats a 73-72 victory over Cal (Pa.) on Saturday. Carman finished with 12 points for Pitt-Johnstown (6-9, 3-2 PSAC).
• Westminster senior Anthony Thomas (Union) scored 24 points on 10-of-18 shooting as the Titans beat Waynesburg, 96-90, on Saturday. It was the first PAC win of the season for Westminster (2-11, 1-3).
• Edinboro senior swimmer Jared Malecki (Burrell) was named PSAC Swimmer of the Week after winning the 200-yard freestyle and 200-yard breaststroke in a dual meet victory over Shippensburg last week.
• Freshman swimmer Holly Stein (St. Joseph) helped Edinboro improve to 6-0 by winning the 100-yard breaststroke and 200-yard breaststroke against Shippensburg on Saturday. She was named PSAC Swimmer of the Week.
• Penn State senior lacrosse players Austin Kaut and Tom LaCrosse were selected in Major League Lacrosse's Collegiate Draft on Friday. Kaut was taken 19th overall by the Boston Cannons, and LaCrosse went 60th to the Rochester Rattlers.
• West Virginia senior Katlyn Shelar had the third-best pole vault mark in indoor program history when she cleared 12 feet, 5 1⁄2 inches Saturday at the Penn State University Relays.
• Chatham sophomore hockey player Katrina Hawkins recorded her second career hat trick in a 6-0 victory over SUNY Canton on Friday.
• Penn State's Nicole Paniccia was named College Hockey America Goaltender of the Week after stopping 39 of 40 shots in a 2-1 overtime victory against Colgate on Saturday. It snapped a personal 21-game winless streak.
• West Virginia senior soccer player Frances Silva was named to the Soccer America MVP second team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college notes: Guy vaults to freshman record at Virginia
- Cal U women’s basketball team, students share grief before game
- Unselfish play helps St. Vincent women to special season
- Two-sport Union grad Thomas seeks All-America status at Westminster
- District college notebook: IUP senior nets 1,000th career point
- Gateway alums make PAC Honor Roll
- Gateway grad Nosbisch earns PAC, region honors for pool efforts