District college notes: Pitt-Greensburg hire soccer coach
College Football Videos
The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg announced the hiring of Robert Spain as the second men's soccer coach in the 16-year history of the program.
Spain was an assistant coach at Moravian College n 2013. He also worked in the front office for Major League Soccer's LA Galaxy during the 2011 and 2012 MLS Cup championship seasons. He also spent the 2010 season as an assistant coach and goalkeeper coach with both the men's and women's programs at Waldorf College.
“We are extremely excited to add Robert to our coaching staff,” Athletic director Tony Berich said of Spain. “His soccer pedigree is excellent and matched only by his passion for the sport.”
Spain takes over for program founder Ted Wawrzyniak, who resigned from the position after 16 years as the soccer coach.
Perry's return sparks Griffins
Seton Hill senior Nate Perry (Hempfield) returned to action last week and scored 21 points in victories against Clarion and Pitt-Johnstown.
Seton Hill defeated Clarion, 81-71, and Pitt-Johnstown, 74-70, to improve to 15-9 overall and 7-7 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference West Division.
Oliver McGlade scored 13 points at UPJ, Kameron Taylor had 12 and David Windsor 11.
SHU men lacrosse rolls to win
Seventh ranked Seton Hill opened the season with a 19-1 victory against Ohio Valley on Sunday.
The Griffins outshot Ohio Valley, 48-11, and landed 32 of the shots on goal.
Matt Delmonico had five goals and three assists, Dylan Lefebvre had two goals and five assists and Marc Piche two goals and four assists.
Sell receives another honor
Seton Hill junior third baseman Nick Sell earned another prestigious preseason honor as he was named to USA Baseball's 60-man Preseason Golden Spikes Award Watch List.
The Golden Spikes Award is given to the top amateur baseball player in the country. Earlier this year, Sell was named a NCBWA Preseason first team All American.
Last season, Sell was a finalist for the Tino Martinez Award, which is given to the top player in Division II baseball. Sell finished fourth in the award voting.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Duquesne women eye run at Atlantic 10 title, NCAA tournament
- Jeannette’s Sunder, Carlow men focusing on future after tough 1st season
- La Roche, St. Vincent get one more shot in D-III tournaments
- Plum’s Dedert helps St. Vincent men’s basketball win PAC crown
- District college notebook: W&J wrestler Carr advances to D-III championships
- Cal U women overcome Gannon in PSAC quarterfinal
- Plum grad named to PAC’s anniversary softball team
- Franklin Regional grads named to collegiate anniversary teams
- Gateway grad claims title, Cal U record at PSAC indoor track championships