Local college notebook: Latrobe grad collects clutch hit
College Football Videos
Latrobe graduate Kaity Finley will remember her first at bat in college.
The freshman at Cal (Pa.) drilled a two-run single during the Vulcans' weekend trip to Shaw University. The hit came in a 6-5 loss to Mount Olive for the Division II No. 20-ranked Vulcans.
Finley, who was a star outfielder for the Wildcats, went 5 for 14 (.357) in five games. She hit a double and has a team-high 5 RBIs.
St. Vincent women earn 2nd seed
Despite road losses to Waynesburg and No. 4 Thomas More, the St. Vincent women's basketball team (17-8, 12-4 PAC) earned a second seed in the Presidents' Athletic Conference playoffs. The Bearcats opened the playoffs at home against Grove City.
Taylor Mathers scored 17 points in 18 minutes against Thomas More. Jessica Welch came off the bench to score 12.
Bearcats hoops team stumbles into playoffs
A three-game losing streak is not the way St. Vincent men's basketball coach DP Haris wanted to see his team enter the Presidents' Athletic Conference playoffs.
But that's what the Bearcats (19-6, 12-4) face after consecutive losses to Bethany (85-65), Waynesburg (68-62) and Thomas More (90-80).
The trio of losses landed the Bearcats as the third seed when the playoffs began earlier this week. St. Vincent hosted Thiel, a team that defeated it 124-121 in four overtimes Feb. 5.
The Bearcats were missing starters Ben Klimchock and J.C. Howard in the Waynesburg game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college roundup: Buechel leads Duquesne past Monmouth
- District college notes: Palonder leads SVC men to win
- District college football preview: W&J on cusp of 700 victories
- District college notes: Pitt-Greensburg hosting annual run/walk
- District college notebook: Brett leads Colonials in tournament
- Duquesne bounces back with win against Dayton
- Campus clippings: Kiski Area graduate Kylie Jackson hitting her stride for St. Francis
- Penn State Fayette volleyball team eyes more success
- District college football preview: Slippery Rock still puts up points
- Lynn returns to form as Cal U starter
- Jeannette grad Craft makes impressive debut at RB for St. Vincent