Local college notebook: Latrobe grad collects clutch hit
College Football Videos
Latrobe graduate Kaity Finley will remember her first at bat in college.
The freshman at Cal (Pa.) drilled a two-run single during the Vulcans' weekend trip to Shaw University. The hit came in a 6-5 loss to Mount Olive for the Division II No. 20-ranked Vulcans.
Finley, who was a star outfielder for the Wildcats, went 5 for 14 (.357) in five games. She hit a double and has a team-high 5 RBIs.
St. Vincent women earn 2nd seed
Despite road losses to Waynesburg and No. 4 Thomas More, the St. Vincent women's basketball team (17-8, 12-4 PAC) earned a second seed in the Presidents' Athletic Conference playoffs. The Bearcats opened the playoffs at home against Grove City.
Taylor Mathers scored 17 points in 18 minutes against Thomas More. Jessica Welch came off the bench to score 12.
Bearcats hoops team stumbles into playoffs
A three-game losing streak is not the way St. Vincent men's basketball coach DP Haris wanted to see his team enter the Presidents' Athletic Conference playoffs.
But that's what the Bearcats (19-6, 12-4) face after consecutive losses to Bethany (85-65), Waynesburg (68-62) and Thomas More (90-80).
The trio of losses landed the Bearcats as the third seed when the playoffs began earlier this week. St. Vincent hosted Thiel, a team that defeated it 124-121 in four overtimes Feb. 5.
The Bearcats were missing starters Ben Klimchock and J.C. Howard in the Waynesburg game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport’s Romanchak to sign with Robert Morris
- Penn State New Kensington loses 4th in a row as rally comes up short
- Freeport QB Romanchak to get initial look on defense at RMU
- Cal U’s Lynn succeeds on gridiron, in classroom
- Gateway alums make PAC Honor Roll
- Gateway grad Nosbisch earns PAC, region honors for pool efforts
- District college notes: Guy vaults to freshman record at Virginia
- Jeannette’s Crawford twins finding basketball success with WCCC
- Thomas Jefferson, Baldwin products lauded by Presidents’ Athletic Conference
- Baldwin product provides valuable spark off the bench at Point Park
- Baldwin grad Duchon makes immediate impact at Thiel