District college notebook: Dunlap sets blocks record at W&J
College Football Videos
TOP PERFORMERSWashington & Jefferson
• Junior center Valerie Dunlap (Latrobe) blocked two shots and became the program's all-time leader in that category as the Presidents beat Bethany, 75-64, on Saturday. Dunlap's 135 career blocks surpassed 2006 graduate Leigh Sulkowski.
• Senior guard Brett Rubin-Goldstein (Fox Chapel) hit a half-court shot at the buzzer to give the Presidents a 62-61 win over Geneva on Wednesday.
• Sophomore men's hockey player Casey Bailey tied the score with five seconds left in regulation, and freshman David Goodwin scored in overtime to lift the Nittany Lions past No. 10 Michigan, 5-4, on Saturday. It was the second win for Penn State (6-19-2, 2-10-1 Big Ten) over Michigan this season.
PSAC swimming and diving championships
• IUP senior Steve Long (Hempfield) won his third straight title in the 200-yard butterfly and second straight title in the 100 butterfly, helping the Crimson Hawks finish third out of seven teams. West Chester won its 16th straight championship.
• The IUP women placed second out of 13 teams thanks to three first-place finishes: Aniella Janosky in the 200 butterfly, Allyson Mitidieri in the 400 individual medley and Taylor Snyder in the 50 freestyle. West Chester won its eighth straight title.
• Junior pitcher Nicole Sleith (Yough) threw a two-hitter against Charlotte in the final game of the Green & White Tournament on Sunday as the Colonials (9-4) were the lone team to win all four of their games. Sleith became the fourth Robert Morris pitcher to surpass 500 career strikeouts.
• Former Pitt-Johnstown national-champion wrestlers Carlton Haselrig, Jody Strittmatter and John Strittmatter will be inducted into the NCAA Division II Wrestling Hall of Fame on March 13. Haselrig went on to become a Pro Bowl offensive lineman for the Steelers. Longtime Gannon coach Don Henry and former Clarion wrestler Wade Schalles also are part of the six-person class.
• The No. 8 Mercyhurst wrestling team beat No. 15 Pitt-Johnstown, 23-15, to clinch the PSAC regular-season title.
• The Mercyhurst men's hockey team beat Niagara, 4-2, on Saturday and clinched its first Atlantic Hockey Association regular-season title.
• Penn State Behrend junior Dan Simon (Penn-Trafford) repeated as Allegheny Mountain Collegiate Conference Co-Swimmer of the Year.
• Senior Mike Kromka became the seventh Clarion men's basketball player to reach 700 career rebounds since 1971.
• Bethany senior Taylor Verrico (Quigley) scored a career-high 36 points in an 85-81 overtime loss to W&J in the PAC Tournament on Tuesday.
• The Carnegie Mellon football team hired Andy Helms as offensive coordinator.
• The top-seeded Gannon and second-seeded IUP men earned byes in the first round of the PSAC tournament, which begins Saturday.
• On the women's side, Edinboro and Gannon are the top two seeds and received first-round byes. The PSAC tournament opens Saturday.
• Ninth-seeded Geneva visits second-seeded Thomas More, and fourth-seeded Waynesburg visits third-seeded St. Vincent at 7 p.m. Thursday in the PAC men's basketball tournament semifinals. The championship game is 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
• In the PAC women's basketball semifinals, third-seeded W&J faces second-seeded St. Vincent at 5:30 p.m. Friday, and fifth-seeded Waynesburg plays top-seeded Thomas More at 7:30 p.m. Both games are at Thomas More, along with the title game at 4 p.m. Saturday.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- IUP receiver charged in robbery; another player accused of assault
- Paced by QB’s epic half, St. Vincent rolls past Thiel
- Cal (Pa.) puts together dominant 2nd half, edges Seton Hill
- Determination pays off for Ringgold’s Greaves at W&J
- W&J, Thomas More meet in battle of ranked PAC leaders
- Campus Clippings: Lehman proves to be good catch for Clarion
- District college notebook: Pitt sophomore shines for soccer team
- Vulcans to host Seton Hill
- District College Game of the Week: Clarion at Gannon
- District football roundup: Clarion stuns Gannon, improves to 4-0
- Dave LaCarte set for Allegheny HOF