District college notebook: Pitt sophomore infielder Wolsonovich fuels upset of UNC
College Football Videos
• Sophomore infielder Dylan Wolsonovich (Ford City) had three RBIs, including a two-run double, to lead the Panthers past No. 17 North Carolina, 6-4, on Sunday. It was Pitt's first road victory over a top-25 team since 2003.
• Junior pitcher Dustin Godden recorded the third no-hitter in school history, but the Knights lost 1-0 to Findlay on Wednesday. He struck out eight and walked two, allowing the only run on a sacrifice fly.
NCAA Division II basketball tournament
• On the men's side, third-seeded IUP (23-4) faces sixth-seeded West Chester (20-9) at noon Saturday in a first-round game at Atlantic Regional host East Stroudsburg. Fifth-seeded Gannon (19-9) takes on fourth-seeded Charleston (21-8) at 8:30 p.m.
• In women's games, third-seeded Gannon (27-3) meets sixth-seeded Shaw (21-8) at noon Friday at Atlantic Regional host Glenville State (W.Va.). Second-seeded Edinboro (24-5) then opposes seventh-seeded Charleston (W.Va.) (21-8) at 2:30 p.m.
• The NCAA Division II championships are Friday-Saturday in Cleveland, and the NCAA Division III championships are Friday-Saturday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Swimming and diving
• IUP swimmer Steve Long (Hempfield) and Clarion diver Heath Calhoun (Butler) — a runner-up last year — are among those who will compete at the NCAA Division II championships Wednesday-Saturday in Geneva, Ohio. On the women's side, IUP, Cal (Pa.), Clarion and Edinboro will send representatives. Edinboro's contingent includes senior Alexis Berdine (Moon) and freshman Holly Stein (St. Joseph).
• Gannon junior guard Adam Blazek was named PSAC West Player of the Year. Joining him on the first-team All-PSAC West team were IUP's Mathis Keita and Marcel Souberbielle, Seton Hill's Malachi Leonard, Slippery Rock's Maurice Lewis-Briggs and Edinboro's Bryan Theriot. Clarion's BJ Andrews was named PSAC West Freshman of the Year, and PSAC West Defensive Player of the Year went to Gannon's CJ Oldham.
• On the women's side, Edinboro junior guard Valerie Majewski was named PSAC West Player of the Year. The first team included Gannon's Jen Papich (Fox Chapel)and Nettie Blake , Slippery Rock's D'Asia Chambers , Clarion's Hannah Heeter , IUP's Lindsay Stamp and Edinboro's Aignee Freeland . Cal (Pa.)'s Miki Glenn was honored as PSAC West Freshman of the Year, and Edinboro's Darche' Jackson (Penn Hills) was named PSAC West Defensive Athlete of the Year.
• Mercyhurst junior pitcher Dan Altavilla (Elizabeth Forward) struck out a career-high 10 in a three-hitter against Chowan on Sunday.
• Mercyhurst senior hockey player Christine Bestland was named College Hockey America Player of the Year. Robert Morris goalie Jessica Dodds was named top rookie and first-team all-conference. The Colonials' Robert Morris' Rebecca Vint also was a first-teamer. Mercyhurst (23-8-4) visits Cornell (24-5-4) at 3 p.m. Saturday in an NCAA D-I quarterfinal.
• The Mercyhurst and Robert Morris men's hockey teams play Atlantic Hockey Association best-of-three quarterfinal series this weekend. The Lakers (19-12-7) host Holy Cross (14-20-3) beginning at 7:05 p.m. Friday. Robert Morris (15-17-5) visits Connecticut (18-12-4) at 7:05 p.m. Friday.
• Edinboro's Tabitha Bemis (Quaker Valley) was named U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Atlantic Region Field Athlete of the Year for the indoor season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Campus clippings: Cratsenberg has 17-tackle game for VMI
- Penn Hills grad returns from injury to help nationally ranked Wingate volleyball
- Discipline key as Seton-La Salle product balances CMU football, academics
- CMU women’s soccer gets a kick out of winning
- St. Vincent men seeking milestone victory
- District college notebook: Robert Morris’ Brett among those to earn conference player of year
- Campus clippings: Dukes’ Mason makes easy transition