District college notebook: Pitt sophomore infielder Wolsonovich fuels upset of UNC
• Sophomore infielder Dylan Wolsonovich (Ford City) had three RBIs, including a two-run double, to lead the Panthers past No. 17 North Carolina, 6-4, on Sunday. It was Pitt's first road victory over a top-25 team since 2003.
• Junior pitcher Dustin Godden recorded the third no-hitter in school history, but the Knights lost 1-0 to Findlay on Wednesday. He struck out eight and walked two, allowing the only run on a sacrifice fly.
NCAA Division II basketball tournament
• On the men's side, third-seeded IUP (23-4) faces sixth-seeded West Chester (20-9) at noon Saturday in a first-round game at Atlantic Regional host East Stroudsburg. Fifth-seeded Gannon (19-9) takes on fourth-seeded Charleston (21-8) at 8:30 p.m.
• In women's games, third-seeded Gannon (27-3) meets sixth-seeded Shaw (21-8) at noon Friday at Atlantic Regional host Glenville State (W.Va.). Second-seeded Edinboro (24-5) then opposes seventh-seeded Charleston (W.Va.) (21-8) at 2:30 p.m.
• The NCAA Division II championships are Friday-Saturday in Cleveland, and the NCAA Division III championships are Friday-Saturday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Swimming and diving
• IUP swimmer Steve Long (Hempfield) and Clarion diver Heath Calhoun (Butler) — a runner-up last year — are among those who will compete at the NCAA Division II championships Wednesday-Saturday in Geneva, Ohio. On the women's side, IUP, Cal (Pa.), Clarion and Edinboro will send representatives. Edinboro's contingent includes senior Alexis Berdine (Moon) and freshman Holly Stein (St. Joseph).
• Gannon junior guard Adam Blazek was named PSAC West Player of the Year. Joining him on the first-team All-PSAC West team were IUP's Mathis Keita and Marcel Souberbielle, Seton Hill's Malachi Leonard, Slippery Rock's Maurice Lewis-Briggs and Edinboro's Bryan Theriot. Clarion's BJ Andrews was named PSAC West Freshman of the Year, and PSAC West Defensive Player of the Year went to Gannon'sCJ Oldham.
• On the women's side, Edinboro junior guard Valerie Majewski was named PSAC West Player of the Year. The first team included Gannon'sJen Papich (Fox Chapel)andNettie Blake, Slippery Rock'sD'Asia Chambers, Clarion'sHannah Heeter, IUP'sLindsay Stamp and Edinboro's Aignee Freeland. Cal (Pa.)'sMiki Glenn was honored as PSAC West Freshman of the Year, and Edinboro's Darche' Jackson (Penn Hills) was named PSAC West Defensive Athlete of the Year.
• Mercyhurst junior pitcher Dan Altavilla (Elizabeth Forward) struck out a career-high 10 in a three-hitter against Chowan on Sunday.
• Mercyhurst senior hockey player Christine Bestland was named College Hockey America Player of the Year. Robert Morris goalie Jessica Dodds was named top rookie and first-team all-conference. The Colonials' Robert Morris' Rebecca Vint also was a first-teamer. Mercyhurst (23-8-4) visits Cornell (24-5-4) at 3 p.m. Saturday in an NCAA D-I quarterfinal.
• The Mercyhurst and Robert Morris men's hockey teams play Atlantic Hockey Association best-of-three quarterfinal series this weekend. The Lakers (19-12-7) host Holy Cross (14-20-3) beginning at 7:05 p.m. Friday. Robert Morris (15-17-5) visits Connecticut (18-12-4) at 7:05 p.m. Friday.
• Edinboro's Tabitha Bemis (Quaker Valley) was named U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Atlantic Region Field Athlete of the Year for the indoor season.