District college notebook: Pitt-Johnstown's McKillop finishes as runner-up at D-II wrestling championships
College Football Videos
NCAA wrestling championships
• Pitt-Johnstown junior Travis McKillop (Burrell) was the runner-up at 184 pounds in Division II on Saturday in Cleveland.
• Waynesburg senior Anthony Bonaventura, who entered the tournament unseeded, placed second at 174 pounds in Division III on Saturday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It was the best finish in program history.
• Washington & Jefferson sophomore Nick Carr (South Fayette) finished second at 165 pounds in D-III, losing 5-3 in the championship. He became the second wrestler in W&J history to reach a title match, with the other coming in 1983.
NCAA D-II swimming and diving championships
• Clarion senior diver Heath Calhoun (Butler) won the 3-meter title with a D-II record score of 615.95 points Saturday in Geneva, Ohio. He also finished second in the 1-meter.
• Clarion junior diver Kristin Day swept the 1-meter and 3-meter, including a D-II record score of 539.35 points in the 3-meter.
NCAA indoor track and field championships
• Westminster sophomore pole vaulter Marissa Kalsey (Waynesburg) finished second at the D-III championships Friday in Lincoln, Neb. Also, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association named her the Mideast Region Field Athlete of the Year.
• Edinboro senior Tabitha Bemis (Quaker Valley) finished second in the long jump at the D-II championships Friday in Winston Salem, N.C. Her jump of 19 feet, 8 1⁄4 inches set a school record.
• Robert Morris junior pitcher Nicole Sleith (Yough) threw an eight-inning no-hitter in the Colonials' 1-0 victory over Villanova on Sunday at the Delaware Invitational. It was Sleith's second career no-hitter and the 16th of her career.
• Point Park senior catcher Ossie Alfonzo hit two grand slams in a 26-6 victory over Indiana Southeast on Friday, helping the No. 19 Pioneers to a doubleheader sweep.
• Slippery Rock junior catcher Alex Bell (Upper St. Clair) had 10 hits and nine RBIs to lead the Rock to a 5-0 record last week.
• Robert Morris junior forward Cody Wydo and Mercyhurst junior goalie Jimmy Sarjeant were among first-team All-Atlantic Hockey Association selections.
• Robert Morris (17-17-5) and Mercyhurst (21-12-7) play in the Atlantic Hockey Association semifinals Friday at Blue Cross Arena in Rochester, N.Y. The top-seeded Lakers oppose seventh-seeded Canisius (16-20-3) at 4:05 p.m., followed by the sixth-seeded Colonials against fifth-seeded Niagara (15-19-5) at approximately 7:35 p.m. The title game is 7:05 p.m. Saturday, and the winner receives an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.
• Sixth-seeded Penn State (7-25-2) meets third-seeded Michigan (18-12-4) in the opening round of the Big Ten Tournament at 3 p.m. Thursday in St. Paul, Minn.
• Mercyhurst (24-8-4) faces No. 3 Clarkson (29-5-5) at 8 p.m. Friday in a Women's Final Four game at TD Bank Sports Center at Quinnipiac. Minnesota and Wisconsin meet in the other semifinal, with the title game set for 3 p.m. Sunday. Mercyhurst is coming off a 3-2 win against No. 2 Cornell on Friday.
• Edinboro (27-5) will face Cal Poly Pomona (25-6) in the Elite Eight at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Erie.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy