District college notebook: La Roche junior Ferguson becomes school's all-time strikeout leader
College Football Videos
TOP PERFORMERSLa Roche
• Junior Tyler Ferguson threw a no-hitter and became the Redhawks' all-time strikeout leader to help his team to a doubleheader sweep of Penn State Behrend on Monday. Ferguson struck out 10, passing Jeff Butterworth (172).
• Redshirt sophomore infielder Maggie Sevilla batted .471 last week with three homers and nine RBIs and was named Pitt's first ACC Player of the Week.
• Junior lacrosse player Clare Hurley had a combined eight goals in two games last week, helping the Dukes extend their winning streak to eight. Hurley has 24 goals for Duquesne (9-1), which is off to its best start since 2001.
• Freshman Jake Horew (Chartiers Valley) improved to 5-0 with a win in relief against West Virginia State on Tuesday. He allowed a homer after not giving up an earned run in his first 31 1⁄3 innings. His ERA is 0.28.
• Junior Ben Shorthouse (Franklin Regional) went 4 for 5 with three RBIs and five runs in a 16-10 victory over St. Vincent on Friday.
• Senior golfer Derek Lingafelt (Penn-Trafford) shot a 2-under-par 70 to earn medalist honors at Saturday's Tam O'Shanter Invitational. The Bearcats won the team title, finishing 14 strokes ahead of Thiel's “Blue” squad.of NOTE
• Mercyhurst junior pitcher Dan Altavilla (Elizabeth Forward) followed up his no-hitter with a shutout of Gannon on Thursday, giving him three shutouts in his past four starts.
• West Virginia senior pitcher Sean Carley improved to 5-0 this season with a complete-game victory over Baylor on Sunday.
• W&J senior first baseman DJ Michalski (Canon-McMillan) went 4 for 6 with a career-best six RBIs in a 12-10 victory in 10 innings against No. 11 Marietta on Thursday.
• Chatham senior pitcher Anne Marie Brnardic (Deer Lakes) struck out a school-record 12 in a 7-4 victory over Franciscan on Friday.
• Penn State sophomore swimmer Shane Ryan broke his school record in the 100 backstroke and placed second at the NCAA championships. He also earned first-team All-American honors in the 100 freestyle by placing fourth.
• Edinboro junior basketball player Valerie Majewski was a second-team selection on the Division II Bulletin All-America team. Gannon senior Jen Papich (Fox Chapel) was an honorable mention selection for the second consecutive season, becoming a four-time All-American. On the men's side, junior Adam Blazek was a first-time choice on the NABC Division II All-America team and an honorable mention selection on the Bulletin All-American team.
• Mercyhurst senior hockey player Christine Bestland was named to the USCHO.com third team. Robert Morris freshmen Jessica Dodds and Brittany Howard were selected to the all-rookie team.
• Edinboro senior Tabitha Bemis (Quaker Valley) was named PSAC Indoor Field Athlete of the Year for the third consecutive year.
• Roz Fornari retired after 21 years as Penn State Behrend's women's basketball coach. She went 347-214 and is the program's all-time leader in wins.
• Clarion's Austin Matthews was named Eastern Wrestling League Freshman of the Year.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cal U women’s basketball team, students share grief before game
- IUP men, women remain among Division II basketball elite
- Local roundup: PSNK men’s basketball team loses to PSU York
- Mathers shines for St. Vincent women’s basketball team
- Campus clippings: St. Joseph grad dealing with setback at Westminster
- District college notes: Seton Hill guard earns PSAC honor
- Robert Morris hockey holds off Penn State in Three Rivers Classic
- Carnegie Mellon basketball team off to hot start