Campus clippings: Allegheny's Thiessen is doubly dangerous
College Football Videos
It's not often that student-athletes can manage playing two sports in college. Many announce their intentions to attempt the feat, but saying so and doing so are two different things. Many find that out right away.
Allegheny freshman Jesse Thiessen is an exception. The Fox Chapel graduate was a star soccer player in the fall and currently is contributing to the lacrosse team.
A midfielder in both sports, she has played in 10 games with three starts for the lacrosse team, which began the season 10-0. She has three goals on five shots.
She was the NCAC's Women's Soccer Newcomer of the Year in the fall, leading the team in goals (11) and points (28).
Junior outfielder Shane Wingard (Apollo-Ridge) had a team-best .388 batting average 21 games into the season for the Golden Tornadoes (6-15). He had a team-high 19 hits and nine RBIs. Teammate Ryan McGonigle (Apollo-Ridge) was hitting .341 (14 for 41).
Through 17 games, sophomore infielder Ryan Dunn (Freeport) was hitting . 352 with a team-high 12 RBIs. Five doubles and two triples were part of his 11 hits.
Junior pitcher Caitlin Nealer (Valley) has thrown six consecutive complete-game shutouts and has not allowed a run in 38 2⁄3 innings. She is 7-3 with a 1.24 ERA with 83 strikeouts and 11 walks.
Teammate and sophomore catcher Katrina George (Valley) is hitting .379 with a team-best four home runs and 19 RBI, while freshman Hannah Blinn (Deer Lakes) is batting .313 with four doubles for the Gators (8-13).
Washington & Jefferson
Senior Madison Rotto (Freeport) was hitting .357 with four doubles, a home run and seven RBIs through 14 games for the Presidents (9-5). In a 6-2 win over Geneva, she delivered three hits and three RBIs. As a pitcher, she is 3-3 with a 1.28 ERA and 27 strikeouts against 12 walks.
Freshman second baseman/catcher Emily Lindsey (Freeport) is hitting .310 with seven RBIs. She has started 13 of 15 games she has played in for the Titans (10-8).
Sophomore Ronit Yurovsky (Plum) is 9-1 in singles matches and ranked No. 22 in the country for the Wolverines (13-3). In doubles, Yurovsky and teammate Laura Ucros have not lost since making their debut together Feb. 15 (7-0).
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor for the Valley News Dispatch. Reach him at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college notes: St. Vincent names women’s assistant coach
- VND campus clippings: W&J kicker Davis named PAC special teams player of the week
- VND Campus clippings: Leechburg graduate Barto picks up initial college victory at Gannon
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- Jeannette grad a shutdown corner, special teams standout with St. Vincent
- Thomas Jefferson grad stars on defensive line, and more, at Bethany
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- Seton Hill soccer player owns impressive streak
- GCC grad Crouse makes quick impact for Penn State women’s soccer
- Campus clippings: Fox Chapel grad named PAC Golfer of the Week
- Former Springdale soccer star creating opportunities for La Roche teammates