District college notes: Hempfield grad takes 2nd in steeplechase at Bison Outdoor Classic
College Football Videos
When Amber Valimont ran at Hempfield, she won PIAA and WPIAL Class AAA championship in the 800-meter run her senior season.
Valimont is still running at Duquesne University, but she's added some jumping to her races.
Valimont, a senior, placed second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase to teammate Valerie Palermo at the Bison Outdoor Classic over the weekend at Bucknell University. Palermo's time was 10 minutes, 34.40 seconds and Valimont 10:34.46.
At the Atlantic 10 indoor championships, Valimont finished third in the mile and was on two winning relay teams.
Seton Hill streak stopped
Seton Hill had its 17-game winning streak ended by Slippery Rock on Sunday.
The Griffins dropped a 9-3 decision in Game 1 but bounced back to win the nightcap, 4-3, to improve to 29-10 overall and 16-2 in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference West.
Logan Urtz picked up the win in relief of Brett Sullivan. Anthony Fanelli (Hempfield) had two hits and two RBIs.
The week also included a 13-12 victory against NAIA power Point Park. The Griffins built a 12-0 lead through six innings before Point Park mounted a comeback.
The Griffins' winning run came in the bottom of the eighth when Nick Sell scored on a wild pitch.
Chris Miller drove in four runs with a double and two singles, Sell doubled and homered, Cody Herald homered and Brandon Jossey had three hits and two RBIs.
Jackson takes third
Seton Hill sophomore Terry Jackson (Greensburg Salem) placed third in the 110-meter hurdles at the Bison Outdoor Classic at Bucknell University.
Taylor Hockman finished second in the long jump with a leap of 22-61⁄2.
Seton Hill finishes second
The Seton Hill women's golf team placed second in the two-day Mercyhurst Spring Invitational on Saturday.
The Griffins finished with a 688 score, second to Allegheny College's 680.
Emily Hassey placed second overall with a 164 36-hole total.
Morgan Miller and Chelsea Sipes tied for eighth at 173.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District football roundup: W&J advances in Division III playoffs; Slippery Rock ousted
- Duquesne gets better of Robert Morris again
- Campus clippings: Keeper Daughtry scores a goal for Waynesburg
- St. Vincent men seeking milestone victory
- Experienced lineup to guide St. Vincent women’s team
- District college notes: Derry grad Gulibon captures Big 10 honor
- Pitt-Greensburg men return experienced lineup
- Campus clippings: Cratsenberg has 17-tackle game for VMI
- District college football preview: Slippery Rock seeks first NCAA playoff win since 1998
- West Virginia outlasts Boston College, 70-66