District college notes: St. Vincent baseball sweeps Grove City
College Football Videos
The St. Vincent baseball team swept a doubleheader against Grove City Thursday in Presidents' Athletic Conference action to bring the conference record to 9-9 and overall mark to 13-17.
Seniors A.J. Kavinsky and Joey Fearer led the way in a 5-3 Game 1 victory, while the Bearcats cruised to a 9-3 win in the nightcap.
Kavinsky went 4 for 4, scored twice and drove in a run, while Fearer picked up the win on the mound, working 5 2⁄3 innings and giving up one earned run.
St. Vincent jumped to a 5-0 lead in the first inning in Game 2 as Brennan Hoffer had a two-run double. A Vince Murphy single drove home Kavinsky in the second, giving the Bearcats a 6-0 advantage.
Mike Cramer (3-1) worked 5 1⁄3 innings for the win, while Greg Martin worked the final 1 2⁄3 of scoreless ball. Tanner Master went 3 for 4, while Hoffer and Ben Webb had two hits each.
SVC softball sweeps PAC doubleheader
The St. Vincent softball team improved to 7-7 in the PAC by sweeping a doubleheader against Chatham and then splitting with Waynesburg.
St. Vincent scored 25 runs between the two games against Chatham, winning by scores of 12-0 and 13-0, in a pair of five-inning contests.
Against Waynesburg on Thursday, pitching dominated at SVC fell 2-1 in the opener before posting a 2-0 win in Game 2.
A solo home run by Samantha Emert accounted for the only run for the Bearcats in Game 1.
In Game 2, Laken Lyon (6-2) tossed a three-hit shutout as St. Vincent earned the split.
Sarah Swettlen and Breanne Wallace hit back-to-back doubles for the Bearcats.
Football schedule announced
The St. Vincent football program and first-year coach Ron Dolciato announced the 2014 schedule with four home and six road games.
The season will begin at Dolciato's former team, John Carroll University in Ohio, on Sept. 6. The Bearcats also will travel to Waynesburg University (Sept. 13), but the game will not count in the standings.
St. Vincent will host new PAC members Case Western Reserve (Sept. 20) and Carnegie Mellon University (Oct. 25). Other home games are against Grove City (Sept. 27) and Westminster (Nov. 1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District college notes: Latrobe grad sets record at Virginia Tech
- Unselfish play helps St. Vincent women to special season
- Campus Clippings: Alle-Kiski swimmers shine at Edinboro
- Local roundup: PSNK men’s basketball team loses to PSU York
- Cal U women’s basketball team, students share grief before game
- Healy strives to revive Penn State New Kensington wrestling program
- District college notes: Seton Hill guard earns PSAC honor
- District college notebook: Wydo sets Robert Morris hockey points record
- Mathers shines for St. Vincent women’s basketball team