District college notes: Finley helps California win title
College Football Videos
Latrobe graduate Kaity Finley, a freshman left fielder, had two hits and an RBI in helping Cal (Pa.) defeat Indiana (Pa.), 3-2, in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference playoff game Saturday.
It was the first of three wins on the final day of completion. California followed with 5-4 and 4-3 victories against Shippensburg and earned an automatic bid into the NCAA Division II regional tournament.
Finley also had an RBI double and scored a run in the championship game.
Finley batted .292 with 28 hits, 11 RBIs, 17 runs scored and five doubles.
WCCC's Shoemaker throws perfect game
Latrobe graduate Matt Shoemaker tossed a five-inning perfect game in helping Westmoreland County Community College to a 12-0 victory against Butler County Community College.
The sophomore left-handed pitcher struck out nine of 15 batters he faced.
WCCC defeated Butler County Community College on Saturday, 12-0 and 11-0, to win the Western Pennsylvania Collegiate Conference Championship.
Shoemaker and Matt Hogue, a freshman who attended Latrobe, each blanked Butler CCC.
St. Vincent men win lacrosse title
St. Vincent rallied from a seven-goal deficit to defeat Thiel, 16-11, and capture the Presidents' Athletic Conference title.
Nick Pensyl, Tom Oxenreiter and Matt Mackey each had four goals and Peter Hronis had three goals.
Thiel led 10-7 at halftime.
SVC baseball ends with win
The St. Vincent baseball team earned a 3-2 win over Washington & Jefferson on Sunday to finish the season 18-21 overall and 12-12 in the PAC, finishing in fifth place.
It was the final game for seniors Joey Fearer (Mt. Pleasant), A.J. Kavinsky (Baldwin), Geo Muzika (Albert Gallatin), Tanner Master (Butler) and Jordan Britcher (Indiana).
Fearer (5-2) threw a complete game after allowing eight hits with four strikeouts.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- District football roundup: Cal (Pa.) staves off late IUP comeback
- Slippery Rock slips up in ‘surreal’ trip to Big House
- District college notes: GCC grad Stone earns NEC honor
- Cal U-IUP vie in Coal Bowl
- New AD set to begin tenure at Penn State Greater Allegheny
- Slippery Rock football returns to Big House
- District football preview: Preseason favorites IUP, Cal (Pa.) still finding full potential
- Seton Hill soccer player owns impressive streak
- Gateway, Plum graduates to meet in Big House Battle
- Former Springdale soccer star creating opportunities for La Roche teammates