Alle-Kiski Valley Campus Clippings: Rotto leads W&J softball to NCAA regionals
College Football Videos
Senior Madison Rotto will leave a lasting mark on the softball program at Washington & Jefferson.
Rotto (Freeport) helped hit and pitch the Presidents (25-10) into the NCAA Division III regional playoffs, which begin Friday. W&J won the Presidents' Athletic Conference title.
Rotto, who also plays first base, was selected to the All-PAC First Team. She is is hitting .360 with two home runs, eight doubles and 27 RBIs. She is 7-5 on the mound with a 1.93 ERA, four complete games, 58 strikeouts and 21 walks.
Men's track and field
Senior Nick Gentile (Freeport) earned a bronze medal in the 800-meter dash in 1 minute, 53.94 seconds at the Northeast Conference Championships. He also ran the anchor leg of the 3,200 relay that took gold with a time of 7:45. Sophomore Richard Lednak (Kiski Area) finished seventh in the 3,000-meter steeplchase with a time of 10:04.68.
Women's track and field
Senior Haley Gabor (Ford City) received the Walker Award during Westminster's annual WESPY Awards. Gabor was the PAC Track Co-MVP and made the All-PAC First Team after winning the conference 200-meter dash and the 1,600 relay. She holds five school records.
Junior pitcher Caitlin Nealer (Valley) was named to the All-North Coast Athletic Conference Second Team, and sophomore catcher Katrina George (Valley) was honorable mention. Nealer struck out a conference-best 158 with six shutouts. George led the team in average (.357), home runs (6) and RBIs (28).
St. Francis (Pa.)
Senior catcher Chelsey Cosentino (Kiski Area) finished with 24 runs, 10 doubles, three home runs and 18 RBIs. She finished her career with nine homers and 71 RBIs.
Junior guard Erin DiSanti (Tarentum/North Catholic) was named a USCAA All-American honorable mention for the Celtics (10-18). She also was named a USCAA scholar-athlete. DiSanti averaged 12.9 points and 2.1 steals last season.
Senior Jenny Papich (Fox Chapel) was named Gannon's Female Student Athlete of the Year. Papich also is an Academic All-American and a three-time Capital One Academic All-District first-team selection.
Bill Beckner Jr. is the local sports editor of the Valley News Dispatch. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- College notebook: Seton Hill baseball team signs 4
- Jeannette native vying for D-III football title with Mount Union
- District college notes: SVC’s Mathers gets PAC honor
- Campus clippings: Pitt-Greensburg’s Heinle named player of the week
- Fox Chapel grad nabs all-conference women’s soccer honor at Allegheny
- Daily Courier roundup: Penn State Fayette women fall to Slippery Rock
- District college notebook: Nolf leads trio of PSU winners at Nittany Lion Open
- What’s on tap in NCAA women’s basketball
- District college notebook: Bowman’s hat trick comes in milestone wins for PSU women’s hockey
- Cal U men, women sweep Shippensburg
- Vulcan women perfect in PSAC