District college notebook: Duquesne women's cross country team picked to defend A-10 title
College Football Videos
• The Duquesne women's cross country team, the defending Atlantic 10 champion, was picked to repeat by the coaches in the preseason poll. Returners include sophomore Valerie Palermo, who finished 10th at the championships last fall. The Dukes are hosting the championship meet Nov. 1 at Schenley Park.
• Former Slippery Rock and IUP basketball player Gerald Brooks (Schenley) signed to play professionally in the Ecuadorian Basketball League. Brooks, a 2013 graduate, spent his senior year at Slippery Rock after earning All-PSAC honors for three seasons with the Crimson Hawks.
• Former Pitt baseball players Joe Harvey and Matt Wotherspoon, who were selected in June's draft, are teammates on the short-season Single-A Staten Island Yankees. Harvey, a 19th-round pick, is 0-2 with a 2.70 ERA and a save in 11 relief outings. Wotherspoon, a 34th-round pick, is 2-2 with a 2.10 ERA in 14 games as a reliever.
• La Roche hired Michael McBride as men's lacrosse coach. He spent the past five seasons as Peters Township's boys coach and was Division I Western Pennsylvania Coach of the Year in 2013.
• Penn State sophomore thrower Michael Shuey won gold in the javelin for the U.S. earlier this month in the North America, Central America and Caribbean (NACAC) U-23 Championships. Shuey's throw of 249 feet, 5 inches broke the school record of 239-9 set by Allen Pettner in 2007.
• The Slippery Rock women's soccer team was chosen first in the PSAC preseason coaches' poll. The Rock, who reached the NCAA Division II Tournament quarterfinals last season, are ranked seventh in the NSCAA preseason poll. Defending PSAC champion Cal (Pa.) was picked second.
• The West Virginia women visit Penn State at 7:30 p.m. Friday in the opening game of the Penn State Invitational. Both teams are nationally ranked by TopDrawerSoccer.com. The Mountaineers are No. 10 and the Nittany Lions No. 11.
• PAC teams open play Aug. 29, and the PSAC begins Sept. 4.
— Jeff Vella
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hampton grad’s return from injury buoys La Roche College womens soccer
- Campus clippings: Collins helps Shippensburg return to nationals
- Daily Courier roundup: Penn State Fayette women fall to Slippery Rock
- Seton Hill women look to improve on 5-win PSAC season
- Pitt-Greensburg men return experienced lineup
- District college football preview: Slippery Rock seeks first NCAA playoff win since 1998
- Duquesne gets better of Robert Morris again
- District football roundup: W&J advances in Division III playoffs; Slippery Rock ousted
- Thomas Jefferson grads competing with new Carlow men’s basketball team
- Even while injured, Jeanette’s Edmunds a contributor for St. Vincent football
- Thiel big man Mallinger thrives on rejection