Duquesne nabs 1st '13 hoops recruit
College Football Videos
Duquesne basketball coach Jim Ferry secured his first player from this year's recruiting class when St. Benedict's power forward Isaiah Watkins signed with the Dukes.
Watkins (6-8, 220) averaged 8.0 points and 8.7 rebounds as a junior at St. Benedict's, a Newark, N.J., prep school with a powerhouse basketball program. His team finished 35-3 last season and was ranked No. 21 by USA Today.
The Toronto native, considered a three-star recruit, reported scholarship offers from Washington, Oregon State, Arkansas, Miami and Villanova, among others. He committed to Duquesne in late September.
Wednesday was the first day seniors could sign National Letters of Intent for basketball. The early signing period ends Nov. 21.
Considered one of Canada's top recruits, Watkins will provide front-court strength for a Duquesne program that ranked next to last nationally in rebounding margin a season ago.
His aunt, Khalihah Este-Shehu, also played basketball at Duquesne (2000-2003).
Another targeted prospect, Christ the King shooting guard Jon Severe, visited the Dukes earlier this month. The New York native has not yet chosen a college, but reportedly was still considering Duquesne. Severe (6-2, 180) averaged 13.6 points as a junior and tied the school's single-game record with eight 3-pointers.
The traditional signing period runs from April 17 until May 15.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Daily News spotlight athletes: Serra Catholic’s Sam Almeder, TJ’s Allie Yurkovich
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Thomas Jefferson hockey program rebuilding with young players
- Comprehensive plan in works
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Sewickley Academy’s Anthony Muscato, NA’s Tina Li
- AP sources: Rice’s appeal hearing set for Nov. 5-6
- BVA’s Parshall gives Penn State a commitment for softball
- Charleroi mayor updates progress on master plan
- Guido: Seeding already settled in Allegheny Conference
- Greensburg Tribune-Review athletes of the week: Kiski Area’s Tyler Young, Hempfield’s Keirsten VanHorn