College football notebook: Georgia loses top receiver for season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Georgia suffered a huge loss heading into Saturday's SEC showdown with No. 6 South Carolina. Michael Bennett, the No. 5 Bulldogs' leading receiver, injured his right knee and is out for the year, coach Mark Richt said Wednesday. Bennett tore his ACL on the last play of Tuesday's practice and will undergo reconstructive surgery. “He was engaged in a block,” Richt said. “He was just working it. Then, as he was moving — no one ran into him, no one rolled into him — his knee just buckled.” The third-year sophomore leads Georgia (5-0, 3-0) with 24 catches for 345 yards and four touchdowns.
• Former Arkansas linebacker Bret Harris was arrested for allegedly threatening to kill the school's head athletic trainer on his Twitter account. Harris was arrested by university police Tuesday. The 23-year-old is charged with a felony count of terroristic threatening against Matt Summers, who is in his fourth year as trainer. According to the preliminary university police report, Harris wrote, “I am going to kill you,” to Summers. The Irving, Texas, native is being held on $20,000 bond.
• Hurdler Lolo Jones trash-talked former Rutgers player Eric LeGrand after he jokingly challenged her to a race on Twitter. What she didn't know was the defensive tackle was paralyzed in a game. After LeGrand tweeted to Jones, “want to race me?” on Tuesday, she replied: “Get Checked for a concussion. Clearly, u've been hit in the head... Cos u arnt beating a track athlete.” When other users informed Jones of LeGrand's injuries, she wrote: “Great I'm gonna get murdered for that tweet. When I had no clue who that dude was. Just responding to any athlete who challenges me to a race.” LeGrand tweeted that he understood what happened and didn't take it personally.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies after jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Police investigate rush hour incidents in Shaler, Wexford
- Husband of accused drug-dealing teacher faces his own drug, intimidation charges
- Monessen police investigating drive-by shooting
- DA drops homicide charge against man accused of shooting Homewood bar security guard
- Westmoreland County tourism grants promote banana splits, breweries, trolley, railroad
- Pirates again approach Polanco about contract extension
- Pa. Supreme Court upholds special prosecutor investigating AG Kane
- Scottie Sports Roundup - Beistel places 3rd in national tournament
- Reliever Holdzkom among three players cut by Pirates
- Pittsburgh settles second car wash drug-bust lawsuit