College football notebook: Georgia loses top receiver for season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Georgia suffered a huge loss heading into Saturday's SEC showdown with No. 6 South Carolina. Michael Bennett, the No. 5 Bulldogs' leading receiver, injured his right knee and is out for the year, coach Mark Richt said Wednesday. Bennett tore his ACL on the last play of Tuesday's practice and will undergo reconstructive surgery. “He was engaged in a block,” Richt said. “He was just working it. Then, as he was moving — no one ran into him, no one rolled into him — his knee just buckled.” The third-year sophomore leads Georgia (5-0, 3-0) with 24 catches for 345 yards and four touchdowns.
• Former Arkansas linebacker Bret Harris was arrested for allegedly threatening to kill the school's head athletic trainer on his Twitter account. Harris was arrested by university police Tuesday. The 23-year-old is charged with a felony count of terroristic threatening against Matt Summers, who is in his fourth year as trainer. According to the preliminary university police report, Harris wrote, “I am going to kill you,” to Summers. The Irving, Texas, native is being held on $20,000 bond.
• Hurdler Lolo Jones trash-talked former Rutgers player Eric LeGrand after he jokingly challenged her to a race on Twitter. What she didn't know was the defensive tackle was paralyzed in a game. After LeGrand tweeted to Jones, “want to race me?” on Tuesday, she replied: “Get Checked for a concussion. Clearly, u've been hit in the head... Cos u arnt beating a track athlete.” When other users informed Jones of LeGrand's injuries, she wrote: “Great I'm gonna get murdered for that tweet. When I had no clue who that dude was. Just responding to any athlete who challenges me to a race.” LeGrand tweeted that he understood what happened and didn't take it personally.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Penguins’ Sutter is determined to keep scoring pressure on
- Search for pilot of ultralight aircraft to resume Thursday