College notebook: Texas Southern hit with NCAA violations
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• The NCAA banned the Texas Southern football and men's basketball teams from the postseason Tuesday, saying it came close to levying the so-called “death penalty” against the school for repeated rules violations and for lying about imposing sanctions on its own. The Division I Infractions Committee said it found a lack of institutional control and outlined problems spanning 13 sports over a seven-year period. The basketball team, currently coached by former Indiana coach Mike Davis, was banned from the 2012-13 postseason and the football team in both 2013 and 2014.
• Suspended TCU quarterback Casey Pachall is leaving school for the rest of the semester and enrolling at an inpatient rehabilitation facility. Coach Gary Patterson made the announcement Tuesday, five days after the junior starter was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving near campus. The coach said the door is open for Pachall re-enrolling at TCU next spring. Redshirt freshman Trevone Boykin will start for the Horned Frogs (4-1, 1-1 Big 12) against Baylor (3-1, 0-1) on Saturday.
• The Western Athletic Conference is adding Cal State-Bakersfield and Utah Valley next year as it ditches football. WAC interim commissioner Jeff Hurd said the WAC will continue looking for other new members as it makes the transition from an FBS conference to a non-football playing Division I conference in 2013-14.
• Tennessee's Derek Dooley is recovering from surgery on his fractured right hip and will coach from the press box Saturday at No. 19 Mississippi State.
• Arkansas quarterback Tyler Wilson was involved in a car accident along Interstate 540 on Tuesday but was expected to practice.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Comets hold life building blocks
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- 2 wounded in Munhall, Homestead drive-by shootings
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- LaBar: Piper’s influence can’t be understated
- Gas meter struck, road temporarily closed near Armbrust Wesleyan Church
- Pair of former champs win Liberty Mile in record time