Notre Dame moves past Oregon in BCS
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Now Notre Dame is ahead of Oregon in the BCS standings, too.
The Fighting Irish became the latest team to move past Oregon on Sunday, taking third behind Alabama and Kansas State. The Ducks remained fourth.
Florida fell out of the top five after a 17-9 loss to Georgia, helping to set the field in the race for the BCS title game with a month to go.
Alabama is locked in at No. 1. If the Crimson Tide keep winning, they will play for their third championship in four years. The Wildcats (.9400), Fighting Irish (.9147) and Ducks (.9136) need to remain unbeaten and keep an eye on one another.
The computers are holding the Ducks back because their strength of schedule lags behind the others. The Ducks are second in the Harris poll and USA Today coaches' poll but fifth in the computers.
Kansas State is third in each poll, and Notre Dame is fourth. But according to the computers, the Wildcats and Fighting Irish are tied for first.
Oregon's schedule could help solve the problem. Oregon plays three opponents in the BCS top 25 (Southern Cal, Stanford and Oregon State) in its final four games, starting with the Trojans on Saturday. The Pac-12 title game, if the Ducks get there, could give Oregon another quality opponent.
Notre Dame, with four games left, faces only one more team with a winning record (USC). Kansas State has three winning teams in its four remaining opponents, but only No. 25 Texas is in the BCS standings.
Alabama has what looks to be its toughest test of the season coming up this week, when it visits fifth-place LSU on Saturday in an SEC West showdown.
Kansas State plays Oklahoma State at home Saturday, and Notre Dame faces Pitt.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- South Fayette football team distributes Steelers tickets to Carlynton, Wilkinsburg
- Minor league report: Other prospects on Penguins’ radar