College football notebook: Records drop in Tenn.-Troy shootout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Tennessee gained a school-record 718 yards in total offense against Troy in a come-from-behind 55-48 win, but the Volunteers weren't the most prolific offense in the game.
Troy (4-5) gained 721 yards, the most yards ever allowed by Tennessee in the program's history.
The teams combined for 1,439 yards, the most ever in a Tennessee game. The previous record was 1,329, set in Tennessee's 59-31 victory over Kentucky in 1997.
The victory allowed Tennessee (4-5) to avoid its first five-game losing streak since 1988, when it lost its first six games before closing the season with five straight wins.
The Vols' defensive woes continued in a tough season for first-year defensive coordinator and former Pitt All-American Sal Sunseri. Before Saturday, Troy had never scored more than 34 points against an SEC foe.
Michigan's Robinson sits
Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson sat out Saturday's game against Minnesota with nerve damage in his right elbow that forced him out of last week's loss at Nebraska. The Wolverines made the announcement right before kickoff. Devin Gardner, who was recently moved back to quarterback from wide receiver, started in Robinson's place.
Colorado DL injures neck
Colorado defensive lineman Justin Solis was carted off the field with a neck injury after making a tackle against Stanford. Solis, a freshman from Thousand Oaks, Calif., stayed down for quite some time as medical personnel loaded him onto a stretcher as a precaution.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Thomas, Moats only starting defensive players to see action vs. Panthers
- Experts warn Kane’s Haiti trip might jeopardize any case from 2014 wiretap
- Spreading the wealth: Gardeners share the excitement of saving, sharing seeds
- NFL notebook: Pierre-Paul reportedly set to return to Giants next week
- Five taken to hospitals after school bus-SUV crash in Washington Township
- House Hunting: Highland Park home gets high-end treatment
- Kentucky county clerk Davis jailed for stand on same-sex marriage licenses
- Stocks end roller-coaster day higher
- McKeesport teen killed by school bus on Eden Park Boulevard
- Gorman: Friday night to be strange without Fedko
- Federal tax-fraud investigation appears to be closing in on North Hills businessman