College football notebook: Records drop in Tenn.-Troy shootout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Tennessee gained a school-record 718 yards in total offense against Troy in a come-from-behind 55-48 win, but the Volunteers weren't the most prolific offense in the game.
Troy (4-5) gained 721 yards, the most yards ever allowed by Tennessee in the program's history.
The teams combined for 1,439 yards, the most ever in a Tennessee game. The previous record was 1,329, set in Tennessee's 59-31 victory over Kentucky in 1997.
The victory allowed Tennessee (4-5) to avoid its first five-game losing streak since 1988, when it lost its first six games before closing the season with five straight wins.
The Vols' defensive woes continued in a tough season for first-year defensive coordinator and former Pitt All-American Sal Sunseri. Before Saturday, Troy had never scored more than 34 points against an SEC foe.
Michigan's Robinson sits
Michigan quarterback Denard Robinson sat out Saturday's game against Minnesota with nerve damage in his right elbow that forced him out of last week's loss at Nebraska. The Wolverines made the announcement right before kickoff. Devin Gardner, who was recently moved back to quarterback from wide receiver, started in Robinson's place.
Colorado DL injures neck
Colorado defensive lineman Justin Solis was carted off the field with a neck injury after making a tackle against Stanford. Solis, a freshman from Thousand Oaks, Calif., stayed down for quite some time as medical personnel loaded him onto a stretcher as a precaution.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Harrison woman dead in 3-car crash in Natrona Heights
- Pittsburgh City Council President officially cited for dumping trash on steps of South Side business
- Richland man sues over injuries suffered as bystander to police chase
- Police arrest 14-year-old in connection to bomb threats phoned in to South Hills schools
- Penguins send down pair, Bortuzzo practices
- Rape charges dropped against NY man, statute of limitations expired
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Duquesne Light workers find decomposing body
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Unpaid August Wilson creditors seek help from judge
- Pittsburgh Trails Advocacy Group volunteers cut trail in South Park