College football notebook: Auburn coach Chizik's job on the line
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• President Jay Gogue has not changed his stance on Auburn football since issuing an Oct. 25 statement, university spokesman Mike Clardy said Friday. Gogue has notified some members of the Auburn Board of Trustees that he's “making preparations to possibly replace head football coach Gene Chizik,” according to multiple sources. Gogue even has a candidate picked out in Louisville offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, according to the report. Gogue is not responding to the report, per Clardy.
• Prosecutors in Idaho have decided not to file criminal charges against Idaho State football coach Mike Kramer after a player complained that the coach shoved him to the turf during practice. Pocatello City Attorney Dean Tranmer called it a difficult decision but said that investigators didn't believe Kramer had any intention of harming wide receiver Derek Graves or committing a criminal act.
• Two members of Brigham Young's football team have been suspended from the team and withdrawn from school amid an investigation into an assault at a Provo restaurant Nov. 1. Coach Bronco Mendenhall announced in a statement that senior defensive back Joe Sampson and sophomore linebacker Zac Stout have been suspended for violating team rules. Both players have withdrawn from BYU and will not return this season. Sampson started eight games this year at safety and had 33 tackles. Stout had one tackle in one game at inside linebacker. No charges have been filed.
• According to a report, ESPN has offered close to $500 million per year for the college football playoff. Sources say the ESPN bid isn't quite that high. A 12-year deal would be worth between $5 billion and $6 billion through 2026.
• Former Oregon coach Mike Bellotti said it is “inevitable” that Chip Kelly one day leaves the school for the NFL. Kelly flirted with and eventually turned down the Tampa Bay Bucs last offseason. His Ducks are 9-0 and ranked second (third in the BCS) heading into Saturday's game at Cal.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Red Wings rally, shock Penguins in overtime
- Predators winger Neal caught ‘blindsided’ by trade from Penguins
- Report linking field surface to cancer elicits Mt. Lebanon protest
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Former Ligonier Township supervisor accused of costing residents thousands, viewing porn on the job
- 3 Pitt football recruits plan to enroll early
- Propels leave the lights on to showcase their after-school activities
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- House has Pitt defense trending in right direction
- Mortgage rate slide’s impact could be minimal