No. 7 Fla. sweats $950K rent-a-win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Louisiana-Lafayette coach Mark Hudspeth wanted his players to watch No. 7 Florida's wild, postgame celebration.
Not so they would remember the gut-wrenching feeling.
But so they would realize how close they came to pulling off one of the biggest upsets in the history of both programs.
“Anytime you see the seventh-ranked team in the country storm the field like they won the Super Bowl to beat you, you know you're doing some good things,” Hudspeth said.
The Gators (9-1) scored twice in the final 2 minutes, including once on a blocked punt in the final seconds, to beat Louisiana-Lafayette, 27-20, on Saturday.
The Rajin' Cajuns (5-4) were 27-point underdogs, were paid $950,000 to be Florida's homecoming opponent and hadn't beaten a ranked team in 16 years.
Ball nears TD record
Wisconsin running back Montee Ball rushed for three touchdowns against Indiana, moving past 1998 Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams into second place on the FBS all-time list. Ball now has 77 career scores and needs just one more to tie Travis Prentice of Miami (Ohio) for the career record.
ACC shootout sets mark
Georgia Tech and North Carolina blew up the scoreboard in the highest scoring game in ACC history, a 68-50 Yellow Jackets' victory.
The teams combined for 1,085 yards and 118 points in surpassing the previous ACC mark of 110 points set in Virginia's 63-47 victory over Tulane in 1968. Eleven players scored touchdowns, and Georgia Tech outgained the Tar Heels, 588-497.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Jefferson Hospital doctor serves as panelist for mental health legislation
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board suspends in-store tastings
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Grand opening of West Kittanning community building will merge past, present
- Roundup: Citizens bank parent says 6-month profit doubles; Former Heinz CEO leaving EDMC board; more
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Rossi: Roethlisberger staging big comeback
- Rockies’ 7-run 7th-inning dooms Pirates in 8-1 loss
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- Sale of WyoTech career college concerns Casey