No. 7 Fla. sweats $950K rent-a-win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Louisiana-Lafayette coach Mark Hudspeth wanted his players to watch No. 7 Florida's wild, postgame celebration.
Not so they would remember the gut-wrenching feeling.
But so they would realize how close they came to pulling off one of the biggest upsets in the history of both programs.
“Anytime you see the seventh-ranked team in the country storm the field like they won the Super Bowl to beat you, you know you're doing some good things,” Hudspeth said.
The Gators (9-1) scored twice in the final 2 minutes, including once on a blocked punt in the final seconds, to beat Louisiana-Lafayette, 27-20, on Saturday.
The Rajin' Cajuns (5-4) were 27-point underdogs, were paid $950,000 to be Florida's homecoming opponent and hadn't beaten a ranked team in 16 years.
Ball nears TD record
Wisconsin running back Montee Ball rushed for three touchdowns against Indiana, moving past 1998 Heisman Trophy winner Ricky Williams into second place on the FBS all-time list. Ball now has 77 career scores and needs just one more to tie Travis Prentice of Miami (Ohio) for the career record.
ACC shootout sets mark
Georgia Tech and North Carolina blew up the scoreboard in the highest scoring game in ACC history, a 68-50 Yellow Jackets' victory.
The teams combined for 1,085 yards and 118 points in surpassing the previous ACC mark of 110 points set in Virginia's 63-47 victory over Tulane in 1968. Eleven players scored touchdowns, and Georgia Tech outgained the Tar Heels, 588-497.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Hurricanes owner rips Rutherford, Penguins
- Starkey: Rutherford hits jackpot with Kessel
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Indiana Twp. boy gets long-awaited liver transplant
- Writings attributed to jailed Plum teacher dubbed evocative of stalker
- New Kensington residents rally in support of 82-year-old robbery victim
- Penguins notebook: Rutherford proves savvy in deal
- Pirates notebook: Cole cool about hostile comment
- 2B Walker, Pirates smash through Tigers pitching in road victory
- Higher school taxes prevail in Western Pennsylvania, Trib finds
- Penguins get their man in making trade with Toronto for Kessel