College football notebook: High-scoring Ducks overcome injuries
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Oregon's defensive line was so depleted that backup tight end Koa Ka'ai and two other freshmen were pressed into emergency duty.
Big-play running back Kenjon Barner was bottled up all night, so freshman quarterback Marcus Mariota put the game on his arm.
Oregon (10-0, 7-0 Pac-12) overcame numerous hurdles to beat California, 59-17, on Saturday night to move into the top spot in The Associated Press poll.
“That's always been our philosophy,” coach Chip Kelly said of the “next man up” mantra. “We really got tested with it (Saturday). Our guys did a nice job. I can't say enough about what that young defensive line did.”
The Ducks were without four of their top five linemen coming into the game.
Commissioners meeting to discuss playoff format
Conference commissioners will meet Monday hoping to come to a decision on whether to have a six- or seven-game format for the new college football playoff.
Support has waned for adding a seventh marquee bowl game to the semifinal rotation. But there is still a strong possibility some type of automatic access to the system will be given to the Big East and four other conferences currently without a bowl of their own.
Seton Hill fires staff
Seton Hill fired football coach Joel Dolinski and his staff Sunday. Dolinski went 4-40 overall and 2-20 in the WVIAC over five seasons.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Pirates’ Martin calls crowd chant ‘petty special’
- Hong Kong police warn protesters not to charge buildings
- Consol Energy cutting retiree health benefits, phasing out pension
- Woman dies in fall at McConnells Mill State Park
- Highmark to increase premiums, limit access to health care in new plans
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Bumgarner quiets Blackout crowd with 4-hit shutout