College football notebook: ESPN, ACC reach 12-year deal on Orange Bowl
TribLIVE Sports Videos
MIAMI — The Atlantic Coast Conference has agreed to a 12-year deal with ESPN for the rights to televise the Orange Bowl, with the conference champion facing either Notre Dame or a team from the Big Ten or SEC.
The deal announced Thursday begins with the 2014 season and runs through 2026. ESPN.com previously reported that the network will play about $55 million per year for the game.
Under the new deal, the Orange Bowl will be played either Dec. 31 or Jan. 1.
ESPN has similar 12-year deals for the rights to the Sugar Bowl (Big 12 vs. SEC) and the Rose Bowl (Pac-12 vs. Big Ten). The champions of each conference will play unless those teams are selected for the four-team playoff that also starts in 2014. In that case, other highly ranked teams from the leagues will play in the game.
The Orange Bowl will be one of six sites in the playoff rotation, along with the Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl and three more to be announced. ESPN has the rights to the bowl games regardless of how the playoff format is determined.
Texas A&M freshman WR Johnson is safe
Texas A&M freshman wide receiver Thomas Johnson has been found safe in Dallas after he disappeared from campus days ago.
Johnson's mother, Linda Hanks, says university police told her the 18-year-old is unharmed.
Police said Wednesday that Johnson was last seen leaving his College Station residence around 5 p.m. Monday. Johnson turned up 180 miles to the north, in Dallas.
2 suspended BYU players charged after fight
Charges have been filed in a fight that led to the suspension of two BYU players
Prosecutors in Provo, Utah, say they filed misdemeanor assault charges against Matthew Santos, 20; Alexander Jackman, 21; Zachary Stout, 21; and Joe Sampson, 23.
Coach Bronco Mendenhall announced last week that senior defensive back Sampson and sophomore linebacker Stout were suspended for violating team rules. Both players withdrew from BYU.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Ehrhoff finding his way with Penguins
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Cancer didn’t stop mother from living for her son
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Penguins notebook: Bennett status remains fluid
- U.S. Steel Tower tenants stand to benefit from company’s relocation
- No. 15 San Diego State hammers Pitt, 74-57
- Thanksgiving is special to the blessed
- Suspect in Route 28 death has long history of ignoring vehicle registration, license laws, records show
- Retailers that won’t open on Thanksgiving hope move pays off
- Ferguson protesters march on Pittsburgh streets