Utah State upsets No. 19 La. Tech in overtime
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EUGENE, Ore. — Jordan Williamson hit a 37-yard field goal in overtime and No. 14 Stanford upset No. 1 Oregon, 17-14, denying the Ducks a chance to clinch the Pac-12 North and derailing their straight shot at the BCS championship game.
If both Stanford and Oregon finish with wins in their final games next weekend, both will finish with one conference loss, which means Stanford will win the head-to-head matchup and go to the Pac-12 championship game for a chance to play in the Rose Bowl.
Stanford (9-2, 7-1) will visit No. 1UCLA, which defeated No. 21 USC 32-29 earlier in the day to claim the Pac-12 South. Oregon (10-1, 7-1) will play rival Oregon State in the annual Civil War rivalry game in Corvallis.
The loss snapped a 13-game winning streak for the Ducks, which was longest current streak in the nation. It was Stanford's fifth straight win.
Oregon was the only Pac-12 team that Stanford hadn't defeated over the past two seasons.
Baylor 52, Kansas State 24 — In Waco, Texas — Glasco Martin ran for three touchdowns, Lache Seastrunk had 185 yards rushing with an 80-yard score and Baylor again upset the BCS picture with a late-season victory, beating second-ranked Kansas State on Saturday night.
A week after the Wildcats (10-1, 7-1 Big 12) took over the No. 1 spot in the BCS standings following Alabama's loss, another team will get its chance on top. And undefeated Notre Dame could get its championship shot.
K-State quarterback Collin Klein may be a Heisman Trophy front-runner no more after throwing three interceptions while being pressured and harassed all night by Baylor (5-5, 2-5). He threw for 286 yards, but had only 39 yards on 17 carries.
Nick Florence, the successor to Heisman winner Robert Griffin III threw both of his touchdowns in the first half when the Bears jumped out to a 28-7 lead.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers nose tackle McCullers finds performance, fitness go hand in hand
- Fatal accident near Clymer involves school van; 3 students reported injured
- Paddleboard classes focus on fitness
- Honda thinks outside box
- GDP data, consumer sentiment drop slash stocks
- Pirates notebook: Burnett rediscovers vintage form
- Daily News League roundup: Plum shuts out McKeesport
- Medical examiner: Dormont man found near incline died of multiple injuries
- Texas waters yield 4 bodies as death toll climbs; rainfall records fall across state
- Hurdle says Pirates must eliminate defensive gaffes
- Steelers’ defense unfazed by noise, believes in potential