College football notebook: Maryland, Rutgers in talks with Big Ten, report says
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Maryland and Rutgers have entered serious talks to join the Big Ten Conference, ESPN reported Saturday.
The addition of Maryland of the ACC and Rutgers of the Big East would give the Big Ten 14 members.
An announcement could come as early as Monday.
The ACC recently raised its exit fee to $50 million.
ESPN speculated that Connecticut would emerge as the most likely candidate to fill Maryland's spot in the ACC, which will be at 14 members with the addition of Pitt and Syracuse in 2013-14 and 15 in all sports except football when Notre Dame joins, which could be as early as fall 2013.
W. Michigan fires coach
Western Michigan is looking for a new football coach.
The school fired Bill Cubit Saturday after the Broncos lost to Eastern Michigan at home with one year left on his contract
Cubit was 51-47 overall and 36-27 in the MAC over eight seasons. He led the program to three bowl games — all of which the team lost — including last year's Little Caesars Pizza Bowl.
Michigan's Robinson starts — at running back
Michigan put Denard Robinson back in the starting lineup — at running back.
The senior lined up behind quarterback Devin Gardner in his final home game and gained 3 yards on a toss sweep against Iowa.
Robinson finished with 98 yards rushing on 13 carries, including a 40-yard run.
On Michigan's first possession, running back Fitzgerald Toussaint was sent to a hospital for surgery soon after sustaining a serious injury to his left leg.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Puppies’ eyes glued shut, South Huntingdon animal shelter says
- Teen charged with firing shots in Wilkins, abducting woman