Big East roundup: Syracuse wins final Big East game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
PHILADELPHIA — Syracuse left the Big East winners.
Ryan Nassib threw for 215 yards and a touchdown, and Adonis Ameen-Moore rushed for a pair of scores to lead Syracuse to a 38-20 victory over Temple on Friday in the Orange's final Big East game.
The Orange (7-5, 5-2) have won five of six games to finish the season, and now await their bowl destination. Syracuse is moving to the Atlantic Coast Conference next season.
Syracuse was down, 10-0, early, and Temple (4-7, 2-5) took a 20-17 lead midway through the third quarter on quarterback Clinton Granger's 10-yard scamper that capped a four-play, 62-yard Owls drive.
But the Orange took over from there.
“We just kept fighting,” Syracuse coach Doug Marrone said. “We were able to make the extra plays.”
Syracuse marched 75 yards on 12 plays on the next possession, ending it with Ameen-Moore's 1-yard plunge to take a 24-20 lead with 4:37 left in the quarter.
Prince-Tyson Gulley scored on a 3-yard run early in the fourth quarter, ending an 11-play, 75-yard drive that took up 4:04 for a 31-20 advantage.
Nassib completed 16 of 28 passes in his final regular-season game.
Cincinnati 27, South Florida 10 — In Cincinnati, Brendon Kay threw for a touchdown and ran for another, getting Cincinnati's offense moving after its worst showing of the season last week.
Cincinnati (8-3, 4-2) was coming off a 10-3 loss to Rutgers that eliminated the Bearcats from the league title race. It was the first time since 1987 that the Bearcats gave up only 10 points and lost.
Kay ended the drought with an 18-yard touchdown scramble in the first quarter. He also threw a 3-yard touchdown pass to tight end Travis Kelce and set up another score with a 48-yard completion. Kay was 17 of 27 for 178 yards. He also ran seven times for 48 yards.
South Florida (3-8, 1-5) struggled behind redshirt freshman Matt Floyd, making his first career start. Floyd completed 21 of 39 passes for 176 yards.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Truck accident closes all inbound lanes of Parkway West
- State Supreme Court Justice McCaffery sent explicit emails
- West Newton man found dead in helicopter wreckage near Rostraver Airport
- Rossi: Pirates can’t waste McCutchen’s prime
- Giants’ Crawford makes history with slam
- Penguins release Carcillo from tryout contract
- Giants, Bumgarner shut out Pirates in wild-card game
- East Huntingdon man dies following police chase
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Fayette emergency personnel responding to injured man in Springfield
- Takacs Quartet excels in Haydn, Debussy