No. 2 Alabama crushes Auburn 49-0
TribLIVE Sports Videos
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — Alabama left no doubt it's tops in the state.
Proving it's the best team in the SEC and perhaps the nation won't be nearly so easy.
AJ McCarron passed for four touchdowns and Eddie Lacy rushed for 131 yards and two scores to lead the second-ranked Crimson Tide to a 49-0 beatdown of rival Auburn on Saturday, the most lopsided Iron Bowl in 64 years.
The Tide (10-1, 7-1) clinched the Western Division title outright and a spot in the conference title game against No. 3 Georgia, with the winner likely getting a BCS national championship shot.
“To me, in all those games that I've been a part of, they are about as good as any game in the country other than the national championship game,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said of the SEC title matchup.
Auburn (3-9, 0-8) completed the worst season for any team within two years of winning an Associated Press national title in what might have been the last game for embattled coach Gene Chizik.
University President Jay Gogue has only said he'll evaluate the program at season's end.
Chizik declined to discuss his future afterward.
“This isn't about me,” he said. “I've got a locker room of guys that are here that are very disappointed.”
The biggest Iron Bowl margin was Alabama's 55-0 victory in 1948. This one could have topped that, but Saban played subs for much of the second half.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elsie Hillman, philanthropist and one-time GOP powerhouse, dies at 89
- Youngwood to purchase swing, table to satisfy state regulations
- Junction project on Interstate 70 at New Stanton exchange to begin
- Spirit ending nonstop flights from Arnold Palmer Regional to Chicago, Las Vegas
- Blairsville man killed in single-vehicle crash in Derry Township
- Murrysville oncologist says he had necessary permits to hunt, kill lion
- Philadelphia firm to defend Intergovernmental Cooperation Authority in lawsuit
- Westmoreland Co. businessman going to prison
- Steelers defensive end Tuitt shifts into high gear
- Zimbabwe alleges Murrysville doctor illegally killed lion
- Heroin, marijuana found in car in Greensburg, driver arrested