College football notebook: Pitt, Penn State get an 'A' from BCA for coaching search
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Pitt and Penn State were among 21 Division I schools awarded grades of “A” from the Black Coaches and Administrators for their head football coaching searches in 2011-12.
A total of 39 schools were graded after hiring new coaches in the offseason. Pitt hired Paul Chryst and Penn State hired Bill O'Brien. The report card released Thursday is not based on how many minority coaches were hired.
Rather, schools are evaluated based on criteria pertaining to the hiring process. Historically black colleges are not included in the study.
Executive director Floyd Keith said he was alarmed only six of the schools hired minorities. In 2010-11, 10 of the 28 Division I head coaching jobs were filled by minorities.
‘Honey Badger' to enter 2013 NFL draft
Tyrann “Honey Badger” Mathieu, an All-American cornerback who was kicked off the LSU Tigers before this season, will enter the 2013 NFL Draft.
Mathieu won the 2011 Chuck Bednarik Award as the best defensive player in college football and was one of five finalists for the Heisman Trophy.
Mathieu, 20, was dismissed from the Tigers three weeks before the start of his junior season by coach Les Miles for violating team rules. Mathieu was arrested in October for marijuana possession.
Oregon coach Kelly gets nod from Eagles LB
Oregon coach Chip Kelly got an endorsement from Eagles linebacker Casey Matthews as a possible replacement for Andy Reid, if the longtime NFL coach is fired. Matthews played two seasons under Kelly at the Oregon before being picked in the fourth round of the 2011 draft.
The Eagles are expected to part ways with Reid after another disappointing season.
Alabama man gets 2 years in jail for BCS video
An Alabama football fan got two years in prison for obscenity in a viral video with an unconscious LSU fan after last year's championship game.
State District Judge Karen Herman told Brian Downing of Smiths Station, Ala., that he's a bully who has permanently damaged someone else's life.
Downing pleaded guilty in October to two counts of obscenity for rubbing his genitals on the LSU fan.
Awards piling up for Notre Dame's Te'o
Manti Te'o's award week itinerary includes stops in Charlotte, New York, Houston, Orlando and perhaps New York again.
Notre Dame's decorated senior linebacker claimed he hasn't thought yet of what would spur that return Big Apple trip: The Heisman Trophy ceremony invite.
“I'll be gone all next week, so today was my last day of school,” Te'o said at a news conference to announce him as the winner of the ARA Sportsmanship Award.
Nebraska, Oklahoma agree to 2021-22 games
Nebraska and Oklahoma schools signed a contract that will have them play in 2021 in Norman, Okla., and in 2022 in Lincoln, Neb.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Actress Dushku displaced from Pittsburgh hotel by One Direction
- Pittsburgh City Council approves ordinance requiring businesses to offer paid sick leave
- Slot cornerback Boykin should give Steelers options in secondary
- Steelers’ Harrison awaits go-ahead from Tomlin before practicing
- 4 ejections, benches-clearing scrum mark Pirates’ win over Reds
- Pirates notebook: Burnett says ‘surgery is not an option’
- Pa. breeding ground for corruption, experts say
- Inside the Steelers: Roethlisberger strong in goal-line drills
- Zimbabwe alleges Murrysville doctor illegally killed lion
- Fayette coroner’s office releases identity of Addison man killed in Route 40 crash
- Mother of Pittsburgh shooting victim does not accept apology at sentencing