College football notebook: South Florida dismisses Holtz
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Skip Holtz was fired as South Florida's football coach after two straight losing seasons in which the program fell back instead of progressed.
Athletic director Doug Woolard made the announcement Sunday after meeting with Holtz individually and then accompanying the former coach to a gathering with players. A search for a replacement will begin immediately, with no timetable for naming the successor.
The son of former Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz went 16-21 at the Big East school, concluding a three-year run with the worst season in school history. The Bulls lost nine of 10 to finish 3-9, 1-6 in the conference.
Vanderbilt coach's deal
Vanderbilt rewarded coach James Franklin with another new contract after he led the Commodores to their best record in 30 years and to consecutive bowls for the first time in school history. Since Franklin was hired two years ago, Vanderbilt (8-4) has gone from only four bowls in the program's history to six. Franklin also helped post three sellouts on campus for the first time since 1996.
App. State coach leaves
Appalachian State said longtime coach Jerry Moore won't return to the Mountaineers next season. Moore was 215-87 in 24 seasons with the Mountaineers and won three straight FCS national championships from 2005-07.
Virginia fires 4 coaches
Virginia coach Mike London fired four assistant coaches and reassigned another as part of sweeping changes to his coaching staff after the Cavaliers finished 4-8.
Defensive coordinator and associate head coach Jim Reid, defensive line coach Jeff Hanson, running backs coach Mike Faragalli and tight ends coach Shawn Moore were dismissed.
Junior Michael Rocco will transfer, removing himself from the revolving door at quarterback.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to retire Joe Greene’s jersey number
- Pirates’ Alvarez continues to sit, work on throwing woes
- Pittsburgh braces for waves of marches, demonstrations this week
- Temple dumps SAT, ACT scores from application process
- Emailed notice for federal jury duty a hoax
- Police investigate possible shooting in Northview Heights
- Thursday’s scouting report: Pirates at Diamondbacks
- Penn State gets verbal from Maryland defensive end
- Murrysville Legion eliminated from state tournament
- Duquesne men’s basketball opens season Nov. 15
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?