Manziel among Heisman finalists
TribLIVE Sports Videos
NEW YORK — Johnny Manziel and Manti Te'o are in position to make Heisman Trophy history.
Manziel, the redshirt freshman quarterback from Texas A&M, and Te'o, Notre Dame's star linebacker, along with Kansas State quarterback Collin Klein, were invited Monday to attend the Heisman presentation ceremony.
Manziel is the favorite to win college football's most famous player of the year award on Saturday night in Manhattan. He would be the first freshman to win the Heisman and the first Texas A&M player since halfback John David Crow won the school's only Heisman in 1957.
“I'm overwhelmed by this tremendous honor of representing Texas A&M, the 12th Man and all my teammates in New York,” Manziel said in a statement.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
- 2 wounded in Munhall, Homestead drive-by shootings
- Armstrong inmate escapee charged with murdering family matriarch
- Pirates place Burnett on 15-day disabled list
- Red Onion reunion possibly the last for Hempfield coal mining village
- Hurdle: Soria likely to assume setup role with Watson