College football notebook: Cincinnati names Tuberville coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Texas Tech's Tommy Tuberville has agreed to become Cincinnati's next football coach.
The agreement came one day after Butch Jones left to become Tennessee's next football coach, ending a week of uncertainty for the Bearcats (9-3). Cincinnati has won a share of four of the last five Big East titles and will play in the Belk Bowl.
Tuberville resigned as Texas Tech's coach on Saturday afternoon and was expected to be introduced at Cincinnati later in the day after a basketball game.
Tuberville takes over a program that has been a stepping stone job for the last three head coaches. Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly and Jones all left after three years for bigger programs — Michigan State, Notre Dame and Tennessee.
Coach, LB get honors
Penn State coach Bill O'Brien was named the AT&T ESPN National Coach of the Year, and Nittany Lions linebacker Michael Mauti was selected to the AT&T ESPN All-American team.
O'Brien led a team engulfed in scandal to an 8-4 record, 6-2 in the Big Ten. Mauti has 96 tackles, 49 solo stops, and three interceptions this season.
USF hires Taggart
Willie Taggart has been hired as South Florida's new football coach after establishing himself as one of the nation's top young prospects by turning a losing program around at Western Kentucky.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Police officer fatally shot in New Florence; suspect at-large
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet
- Steelers find success vs. NFC
- Zatkoff’s, Malkin’s heroics not enough as Oilers down Penguins in shootout
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman
- Volunteers get West Deer church’s train display back on track
- Thomas Jefferson uses defense, running game to capture WPIAL title
- Steelers remain cautious of Seattle QB Wilson on ground, through air
- Funding highway bill atop Rep. Shuster’s agenda
- Saxonburg machine shop 3 generations strong
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life