New Mexico beats No. 8 Cincinnati
TribLIVE Sports Videos
CINCINNATI — Alex Kirk scored 15 points and blocked Sean Kilpatrick's shot just before the buzzer Thursday night, preserving New Mexico's 55-54 win that handed No. 8 Cincinnati its first loss.
New Mexico (13-1) rallied in the second half behind its 7-foot center, who hit a 3-pointer, got a team-high seven rebounds and slapped away Kilpatrick's jumper off an inbounds play.
Cincinnati (12-1) moved up to No. 8 this week — its highest ranking in nine years — and was trying to go 13-0 for only sixth time in school history. The Bearcats couldn't salvage a tight game against a team known for knocking off top teams.
Pitt plays the Bearcats at noon Monday at Petersen Events Center.
The Lobos have won six of their last seven games against ranked teams, leaving them 14-6 against the Top 25 during coach Steve Alford's six seasons.
Kirk scored nine of his 15 points in the second half and led a surge that gave the Lobos their first lead. Kilpatrick had 15 points, but was only 5 of 22 from the field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- PixController of Murrysville honored by Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania for camera trained on Pittsburgh eagle nest
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Fallowfield Township increases road crew
- Beloved teacher at 3 Western Pa. schools hears from students across nation
- Antiques appraiser shares expertise with Mon Valley crowd
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Fire causes Blairsville bar to collapse, flames spread to neighboring building
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling