New Mexico beats No. 8 Cincinnati
TribLIVE Sports Videos
CINCINNATI — Alex Kirk scored 15 points and blocked Sean Kilpatrick's shot just before the buzzer Thursday night, preserving New Mexico's 55-54 win that handed No. 8 Cincinnati its first loss.
New Mexico (13-1) rallied in the second half behind its 7-foot center, who hit a 3-pointer, got a team-high seven rebounds and slapped away Kilpatrick's jumper off an inbounds play.
Cincinnati (12-1) moved up to No. 8 this week — its highest ranking in nine years — and was trying to go 13-0 for only sixth time in school history. The Bearcats couldn't salvage a tight game against a team known for knocking off top teams.
Pitt plays the Bearcats at noon Monday at Petersen Events Center.
The Lobos have won six of their last seven games against ranked teams, leaving them 14-6 against the Top 25 during coach Steve Alford's six seasons.
Kirk scored nine of his 15 points in the second half and led a surge that gave the Lobos their first lead. Kilpatrick had 15 points, but was only 5 of 22 from the field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wedding aboard Pittsburgh’s Gateway Clipper ends in arrests
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Love locks tokens fall prey to renovations on Pittsburgh bridges
- Housing market remains ‘disaster’ in Westmoreland County
- Western Pa. districts aim to win back students from cyber charters
- Campus visit sells 4-star Ohio recruit Hall on Panthers
- Pa. judge identified who denied Trib request to view sexually explicit emails circulated in AG’s Office
- RX Fit brings cross-training to Ford City
- Dozens in Boko Haram reportedly killed as Nigeria repels attack
- Ford City explores beefing up code enforcement