New Mexico beats No. 8 Cincinnati
TribLIVE Sports Videos
CINCINNATI — Alex Kirk scored 15 points and blocked Sean Kilpatrick's shot just before the buzzer Thursday night, preserving New Mexico's 55-54 win that handed No. 8 Cincinnati its first loss.
New Mexico (13-1) rallied in the second half behind its 7-foot center, who hit a 3-pointer, got a team-high seven rebounds and slapped away Kilpatrick's jumper off an inbounds play.
Cincinnati (12-1) moved up to No. 8 this week — its highest ranking in nine years — and was trying to go 13-0 for only sixth time in school history. The Bearcats couldn't salvage a tight game against a team known for knocking off top teams.
Pitt plays the Bearcats at noon Monday at Petersen Events Center.
The Lobos have won six of their last seven games against ranked teams, leaving them 14-6 against the Top 25 during coach Steve Alford's six seasons.
Kirk scored nine of his 15 points in the second half and led a surge that gave the Lobos their first lead. Kilpatrick had 15 points, but was only 5 of 22 from the field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Penguins’ best bet is on Martin
- Body found on North Side
- Crews battling 5-alarm fire at North Union industrial building
- Penguins president: General manager, coach won’t be fired
- From injuries to front office, Penguins’ season didn’t lack drama
- Burnett’s stellar start paves way for Pirates’ victory over Diamondbacks
- Spirit Airlines lifts fortunes of Arnold Palmer Regional Airport
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Young defensemen make case for future with Penguins
- Elites, media & character
- It’s business, but not as usual in Pittsburgh