New Mexico beats No. 8 Cincinnati
TribLIVE Sports Videos
CINCINNATI — Alex Kirk scored 15 points and blocked Sean Kilpatrick's shot just before the buzzer Thursday night, preserving New Mexico's 55-54 win that handed No. 8 Cincinnati its first loss.
New Mexico (13-1) rallied in the second half behind its 7-foot center, who hit a 3-pointer, got a team-high seven rebounds and slapped away Kilpatrick's jumper off an inbounds play.
Cincinnati (12-1) moved up to No. 8 this week — its highest ranking in nine years — and was trying to go 13-0 for only sixth time in school history. The Bearcats couldn't salvage a tight game against a team known for knocking off top teams.
Pitt plays the Bearcats at noon Monday at Petersen Events Center.
The Lobos have won six of their last seven games against ranked teams, leaving them 14-6 against the Top 25 during coach Steve Alford's six seasons.
Kirk scored nine of his 15 points in the second half and led a surge that gave the Lobos their first lead. Kilpatrick had 15 points, but was only 5 of 22 from the field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Pirates’ Melancon has been consistent since moving into closer’s role
- Mon Valley called ‘ground zero’ for blight
- Well-traveled Clemons trying to find home with Carolina Panthers
- Employers start to feel wage pressures
- 2 teens charged in shooting in New Castle
- Friday’s scouting report: Pirates at Rockies
- Aliquippa father is charged by Beaver County DA in girls’ dresser death
- EPA finds no contamination from Parks Township nuclear dump