Bowl roundup: ASU, Graham rout Navy in Fight Hunger Bowl
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SAN FRANCISCO — Taylor Kelly threw four touchdown passes and ran for a fifth score to lead Arizona State to its first bowl win in seven years, a 62-28 victory over Navy in the Fight Hunger Bowl on Saturday.
Offensive MVP Marion Grice ran for 159 yards and two TDs for the Sun Devils (8-5), who used their fast-paced spread offense to score touchdowns on their first nine possessions.
That helped provided a bright end to a successful first season at Arizona State for former Pitt coach Todd Graham, who helped the Sun Devils win their most games since 2007 and win a bowl for the first time since the 2005 Insight Bowl against Rutgers. The Sun Devils capped their season by beating rival Arizona and winning a bowl, a feat they had accomplished just once in the past 33 seasons.
Texas 31, No. 15 Oregon State 27 — In San Antonio, David Ash threw two fourth-quarter touchdown passes, the last a 36-yard strike to Marquise Goodwin with 2:24 left, to give the Longhorns a comeback victory over Oregon State (9-4).
The Longhorns (9-4) never led before Goodwin scored his second touchdown on a deep post pattern just a play after Texas converted a fourth-and-1 play to keep its chances alive.
Armed Forces Bowl
Rice 33, Air Force 14 — In Fort Worth, Texas, freshman quarterback Driphus Jackson threw for 264 yards in relief of Rice's hurt starter, including two touchdown passes to Jordan Taylor, and the Owls (7-6) beat Air Force.
Jackson took over for Taylor McHargue, who never returned because of an apparent head injury after a helmet-to-helmet collision with about five minutes left in the first half.
Air Force (6-7) was held to a season-low 214 total yards.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Would one big move kill Pirates’ future?
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- 2 sentenced for avoiding arrest after Steelers player was stabbed
- Pirates inquire about Red Sox LHP Lester
- 6 cited for trespassing on UPMC property at union rally
- Coal, union rallies dot Pittsburgh landscape this week
- Western Pa. commission pitches $4.7 billion wish list to state
- Former walk-ons may lose scholarships under Penn State’s Franklin
- LCB reduces fee for tavern gaming licenses
- 5 Seconds of Summer announce 2015 tour
- Natrona Heights woman burned in trailer fire