WVU wins 3rd straight heading into Big 12 play
TribLIVE Sports Videos
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — It took three scorers in double figures — one with a career high — and a sterling free-throw performance for West Virginia to hold off Eastern Kentucky, 74-67, Sunday.
For coach Bob Huggins' Mountaineers (7-5), it was the third straight win heading into the Big 12 portion of the schedule. Guards Gary Browne and Juwan Staten had 17 — for Browne it was a career best — and Deniz Kilicli added 10.
For Jeff Neubauer's Colonels (10-3), gunner Glenn Cosey knocked down a game-high 21 points. Mike DiNunno and reserve Orlando Williams chipped in with 10 apiece.
Cosey (8 of 14) threw in 5 of 10 3-point shots. It was the long bombs that brought the visiting Colonels back after they trailed by 16 points just two minutes after intermission.
From 1:45 of the first half to 17:43 of the second half, the Colonels hit four straight 3-pointers to give them their only points of the span. Cosey hit the last two triples of the half.
In the first half, the Colonels mustered only 3 of 10 from distance as they shot 27.6 percent (8 of 29) from the field. It was West Virginia's second-best 3-point defense, in terms of percentage, for the season.
Eastern Kentucky connected on 11 of 26 (44.6 percent) versus 20 of 49 made shots (40.8 percent) for WVU. The Mountaineers missed 10 of 12 3s in the second half.
The difference for WVU came at the foul line, where, coming in, it was hitting a respectable 70.2 percent from the line. WVU knocked in 32 of 39 foul shots (82.1 percent).
Robert Morris 60, Kent State 51 — In Kent, Ohio, junior forward Artemis Spanou scored 21 second-half points to lead the Colonials to their first victory of the season. Robert Morris improved to 1-10, while the Golden Flashes fell to 1-11.
Delaware 60, Duquesne 45 — In Hanover, N.H., Wumi Agunbiade and Orsi Szecsi combined to shoot 2 of 19 from the field as the Dukes (11-2) lost in the championship game of the Blue Sky Classic.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Northern Cambria man accused of attempted rape
- Witnesses help identify 2nd teen charged in killing Andre Roberts
- Photo of suspect in Greendale Tavern burglary/fire released
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Icy roads cause accidents, slow traffic across Western Pa.
- October mine inspections result in 127 citations
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Earlier openings make Black Friday shopping easier for bargain-hunters
- Sewickley center offers new child care options
- Fayette County history could fetch big bucks at Ohio auction