College basketball roundup: Boeheim passes Knight on wins list
TribLIVE Sports Videos
SYRACUSE, N.Y. — Jim Boeheim notched his 903rd career victory, breaking a tie with Bob Knight for second all-time among Division I men's coaches, and No. 7 Syracuse (13-1, 1-0) rolled past Rutgers (9-3, 0-1), 78-53, on Wednesday in the Big East opener for both teams.
Syracuse's Brandon Triche had a season-high 25 points. Eli Carter led Rutgers with 19 points.
No. 1 Duke 67, Davidson 50 — In Charlotte, N.C., Ryan Kelly scored 18 points to help Duke remain unbeaten.
Quinn Cook scored 15 points and Mason Plumlee scored eight of his 10 in the second half for the Blue Devils (13-0).
No. 4 Louisville 80, Providence 62 — In Louisville, Ky., Russ Smith scored a game-high 23 points and Louisville (13-1, 1-0) shot 53 percent to run away in the Big East opener for both teams.
Kadeem Batts had 17 points to lead Providence.
No. 8 Ohio State 70, Nebraska 44 — In Columbus, Ohio, Deshaun Thomas outscored Nebraska in the first half, 18-17, and finished with 22 points in the Big Ten opener for both teams.
Lenzelle Smith Jr. added 17 points for Ohio State (11-2, 1-0).
No. 16 Creighton 79, Illinois St. 72 — In Normal, Ill., Junior forward Ethan Wragge was 6 of 9 from 3-point range for his 18 points to lead Creighton to a victory.
Oklahoma 71, West Virginia 68 — In Norman, Okla., Oklahoma outscored West Virginia, 35-29, in the second half as the Mountaineers fell their Big 12 opener.
Taylor Palmer scored 24 of her game-high 30 points in the first half for West Virginia (8-4, 0-1).
Oklahoma (11-2, 1-0) went 31 for 39 from the free-throw line.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 7 in custody after New Kensington drug raid
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- Police seize phones of some Norwin High School students
- Pittsburgh police officer hurt in motorcycle crash
- Rostraver woman victim of home invasion
- Twelve selected for jury in Ferrante trial
- Pitt to play Notre Dame 5 times over next 11 seasons
- Butler Township moves to block drilling in residential areas
- French oil CEO killed when private jet collides with snowplow during takeoff in Moscow
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Alleged abuse by Franciscan friar nets $8M for 88 former students