Manziel powers Texas A&M to Cotton Bowl win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ARLINGTON, Texas — Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel ran for two touchdowns, threw for two more and had a Cotton Bowl-record 516 total yards as 10th-ranked Texas A&M wrapped up its first SEC season with a 41-13 win over No. 12 Oklahoma on Friday night.
The Aggies (11-2) never trailed after Manziel tiptoed the sideline for a 23-yard TD run on their opening drive of the game. Texas A&M took control of the game by scoring touchdowns on its first three drives in the third quarter, going ahead, 34-13, when Manziel threw a 33-yard TD to Ryan Swope on fourth and 4.
Oklahoma (10-3), which like the Aggies entered the game with a five-game winning streak, went three-and-out on its first three drives after halftime.
Manziel set an FBS bowl record with his 229 yards rushing on 17 carries, and completed 22 of 34 passes for 287 yards.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates rout Cardinals to keep things interesting in NL Central
- LaBar: Best next opponent for Brock Lesnar
- Rams take down TJ in season opener
- BVA breaks in new field by beating Trinity
- Leader Times roundup: Karns City rolls in opener
- Clairton picks up where it left off, rout California, 72-0
- Bank of New York Mellon computer glitch examined for harm to investors
- Defense sparks Freeport to Allegheny Conference victory over Shady Side Academy
- High temperatures, low gas prices could entice 30.4M holiday travelers
- Connellsville Area School District to honor Hall of Fame inductees
- Farmers fear 2nd attack of bird flu