Manziel powers Texas A&M to Cotton Bowl win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
ARLINGTON, Texas — Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel ran for two touchdowns, threw for two more and had a Cotton Bowl-record 516 total yards as 10th-ranked Texas A&M wrapped up its first SEC season with a 41-13 win over No. 12 Oklahoma on Friday night.
The Aggies (11-2) never trailed after Manziel tiptoed the sideline for a 23-yard TD run on their opening drive of the game. Texas A&M took control of the game by scoring touchdowns on its first three drives in the third quarter, going ahead, 34-13, when Manziel threw a 33-yard TD to Ryan Swope on fourth and 4.
Oklahoma (10-3), which like the Aggies entered the game with a five-game winning streak, went three-and-out on its first three drives after halftime.
Manziel set an FBS bowl record with his 229 yards rushing on 17 carries, and completed 22 of 34 passes for 287 yards.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ Letang leaves hospital, ‘day-to-day’ with concussion
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Starkey: Next frontier for Steelers offense
- Shortfalls sabotage promise of union retirees’ pensions
- Pirates pitchers finding success with expanded strike zone
- South Side house part of former Steeler’s end game
- Alvarez latest in Pirates’ revolving door at first base
- Pirates notebook: Polanco’s power outburst a matter of timing
- From sticks to pucks, Mt. Pleasant collector wields power of the Pens
- GOP succeeding at down-ballot level
- Mt. Lebanon native, Iraq war hero’s action goes unrewarded