College basketball roundup: Zeller helps Indiana hold on
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EVANSTON, Ill. — Cody Zeller scored 21 points and grabbed 13 rebounds, and No. 2 Indiana beat Northwestern, 67-59, on Sunday.
Jordan Hulls added 15 points. Christian Watford scored 14, and the Hoosiers (16-2, 4-1 Big Ten) hung on after things got tense down the stretch.
They led by as many as 17 in the first half and were up, 31-17, at intermission, but Northwestern (11-8, 2-4) rattled them with its trap in the second. The Wildcats pulled within five three times, but the Hoosiers prevailed after seeing a six-game win streak end with a loss to Wisconsin last week.
Zeller, the Big Ten Preseason Player of the Year, hit 9 of 10 free throws and dominated inside as Indiana pounded the Wildcats, 36-24, on the glass.
No. 14 North Carolina State 66, Clemson 62 — In Raleigh, N.C., freshman T.J. Warren scored 21 points, and Richard Howell scored the go-ahead basket with 1:56 left to help 14th-ranked North Carolina State (15-3, 4-1 ACC) hold off Clemson (10-7, 2-3). Howell finished with 11 points and 12 rebounds for the Wolfpack.
Duquesne 65, Temple 45 — Wumi Agunbiade scored 23 points to keep host Duquesne (14-3, 3-0) unbeaten in Atlantic 10 play with its victory against Temple (7-10, 1-2). Vanessa Abel added a season-high 11 points in her first start of the season.
Duquesne scored the first nine points of the game en route to a 34-14 halftime lead. Temple got no closer than 15 points in the second half.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Chryst a miserable failure at Pitt
- Pouliot scores in NHL debut as Penguins tame Panthers
- Ex-Penguins defenseman Niskanen still miffed by coaches’ firings
- Pitt players support Rudolph for job
- Pitt football fights to overcome steppingstone status
- Jeannette company’s miniature steam engines coveted for decades
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Real estate union: Howard Hanna buys Langholz Wilson Ellis
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Westmoreland County furloughs weights and measurements director