College roundup: Michigan State edges Illinois
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EAST LANSING, Mich. — Keith Appling led a pivotal run early in the second half and finished with 24 points and seven assists to help No. 13 Michigan State beat Illinois, 80-75, on Thursday night.
The Spartans (18-4, 7-2 Big Ten) scored the first 14 points of the second half to take their first lead.
Saint Louis 75, No. 9 Butler 58 — In St. Louis, Jordair Jett matched his career best with 19 points, and Saint Louis (15-5, 4-2 Atlantic 10) pressured Butler (17-4, 4-2) into a season-worst 23 turnovers to record the program's biggest upset in nine years.
No. 8 Arizona 57, Washington 53 — Nick Johnson scored 15 points, five in the final two minutes, and Arizona (18-2, 6-2 Pac-12) rallied from an early deficit.
Iowa 76, Penn State 67 — In Iowa City, Iowa, Aaron White scored a career-high 27 points and Iowa (14-7, 3-5) defeated Penn State.
D.J. Newbill finished with 20 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Nittany Lions (8-13, 0-9).
St. Francis (N.Y.) 71, Robert Morris 61 — In New York, Robert Morris (14-8, 6-3 Northeast Conference) saw its six-game winning streak snapped and lost star guard Velton Jones to an injury.
Jones entered the game with 1,499 points and 502 assists in his career, and was seeking to become the first 1,500-point, 500-assist player in Colonials' history, but he injured his shoulder early and only played 2 minutes with no points.
Karvel Anderson and Anthony Myers-Pate each scored 14 points off the bench for Robert Morris.
Jalen Cannon and Brent Jones scored 16 points each for St. Francis (9-11, 5-4).
Wisconsin 63, No. 7 Penn State 61 — Morgan Paige scored a career-high 33 points and Wisconsin (10-11, 2-6) upset Penn State. Maggie Lucas scored 18 points to lead the Nittany Lions (17-3, 7-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins add adviser PJT Partners to assist in potential sale
- Penn State goaltender Skoff gets chance to impress the Penguins
- Storm causes scattered power outages in central Westmoreland County
- 1,500 lose power in Alle-Kiski Valley
- Weather puts county emergency operations into ‘storm mode’
- West Virginia defense looks to reach higher level of play this year
- Pirates notebook: Kang settling in to comfort zone
- Judge sentences Arnold man already serving time to prison on federal charges
- Violent domestic dispute prompts evacuation of Spring Hill neighbors
- District 31 Legion roundup: Latrobe rallies in 7th to defeat rival Unity
- Suspended Maryland wide receiver eyeing Pitt