College roundup: Michigan State edges Illinois
TribLIVE Sports Videos
EAST LANSING, Mich. — Keith Appling led a pivotal run early in the second half and finished with 24 points and seven assists to help No. 13 Michigan State beat Illinois, 80-75, on Thursday night.
The Spartans (18-4, 7-2 Big Ten) scored the first 14 points of the second half to take their first lead.
Saint Louis 75, No. 9 Butler 58 — In St. Louis, Jordair Jett matched his career best with 19 points, and Saint Louis (15-5, 4-2 Atlantic 10) pressured Butler (17-4, 4-2) into a season-worst 23 turnovers to record the program's biggest upset in nine years.
No. 8 Arizona 57, Washington 53 — Nick Johnson scored 15 points, five in the final two minutes, and Arizona (18-2, 6-2 Pac-12) rallied from an early deficit.
Iowa 76, Penn State 67 — In Iowa City, Iowa, Aaron White scored a career-high 27 points and Iowa (14-7, 3-5) defeated Penn State.
D.J. Newbill finished with 20 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Nittany Lions (8-13, 0-9).
St. Francis (N.Y.) 71, Robert Morris 61 — In New York, Robert Morris (14-8, 6-3 Northeast Conference) saw its six-game winning streak snapped and lost star guard Velton Jones to an injury.
Jones entered the game with 1,499 points and 502 assists in his career, and was seeking to become the first 1,500-point, 500-assist player in Colonials' history, but he injured his shoulder early and only played 2 minutes with no points.
Karvel Anderson and Anthony Myers-Pate each scored 14 points off the bench for Robert Morris.
Jalen Cannon and Brent Jones scored 16 points each for St. Francis (9-11, 5-4).
Wisconsin 63, No. 7 Penn State 61 — Morgan Paige scored a career-high 33 points and Wisconsin (10-11, 2-6) upset Penn State. Maggie Lucas scored 18 points to lead the Nittany Lions (17-3, 7-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Offense awakens to lead Steelers past Panthers
- Charges dropped against homeless man found in presidential suite of Downtown hotel
- Port Authority bus drives over embankment; driver only one aboard
- Rossi: State of NFL gives Steelers a chance
- Washington County investment broker admits fraud
- Former manager of Consol’s land office charged with 60 counts of mail fraud
- Extras sought for Will Smith movie filming in Pittsburgh
- Columbia Gas offering $10 discount on furnance clean, tune-up
- Peduto’s first budget proposal seeks to increase property tax rate
- Connellsville’s Mozart Music Club to celebrate 95th anniversary
- Tuesday - Sept. 22, 2014