College sports notebook: Top prospect set to pick Ole Miss
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Grayson (Ga.) defensive end Robert Nkemdiche, the nation's No. 1 prospect, is expected to sign with Mississippi on national signing day Wednesday. LSU and Florida are believed to be Nkemdiche's other finalists. Nkemdiche's last visit was to LSU last weekend. The big edge for Ole Miss is Denzel Nkemdiche, Robert's older brother who led the Rebels in tackles as a redshirt freshman linebacker last season. Recruiting analyst Tom Lemming of CBS Sports believes it is a “just a forgone conclusion” that Nkemdiche will join his brother at Ole Miss. Denzel openly has lobbied for his brother to sign with the Rebels. “I told him, ‘We need you; you know how I feel about that,' ” Denzel said.
•Dick Vitale will call Final Four games for the first time this year, when a voice synonymous with college basketball will be heard only outside the U.S. Vitale, 73, will work a semifinal and the championship for ESPN International, with telecasts going to 150 countries and territories.
• Old Dominion fired men's basketball coach Blaine Taylor with eight games remaining in the regular season. Taylor has the most wins in school history, compiling 239 victories over 12 seasons, but his team is 2-20 this season.
• A judge has dismissed the last remaining count in Washington State football coach Mike Leach's wrongful termination lawsuit against Texas Tech. State District Judge William Sowder ruled Texas Tech didn't violate the coach's due process rights when he was fired in December 2009.
• Robert Morris guard Ashley Ravelli was named the Northeast Conference women's basketball Rookie of the Week for the third time this season. She averaged 15.0 points against LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis (N.Y.).
— Staff and wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Burnett pitches well in farewell, but Pirates lose to Reds
- Kessel addition, better health could have Pens scoring like it’s 1990s
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Are Pirates better positioned to win it all this postseason?
- Anxiety pervades town built by Volkswagen during emissions-cheating scandal
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Cameron in throes of leave-the-EU movement in Britain
- Pirates fans on edge as season again coming down to wild card
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Girl battling cancer scratches item off bucket list with PNC Park trip
- More employers adopt generous leave policies