College sports notebook: Top prospect set to pick Ole Miss
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Grayson (Ga.) defensive end Robert Nkemdiche, the nation's No. 1 prospect, is expected to sign with Mississippi on national signing day Wednesday. LSU and Florida are believed to be Nkemdiche's other finalists. Nkemdiche's last visit was to LSU last weekend. The big edge for Ole Miss is Denzel Nkemdiche, Robert's older brother who led the Rebels in tackles as a redshirt freshman linebacker last season. Recruiting analyst Tom Lemming of CBS Sports believes it is a “just a forgone conclusion” that Nkemdiche will join his brother at Ole Miss. Denzel openly has lobbied for his brother to sign with the Rebels. “I told him, ‘We need you; you know how I feel about that,' ” Denzel said.
•Dick Vitale will call Final Four games for the first time this year, when a voice synonymous with college basketball will be heard only outside the U.S. Vitale, 73, will work a semifinal and the championship for ESPN International, with telecasts going to 150 countries and territories.
• Old Dominion fired men's basketball coach Blaine Taylor with eight games remaining in the regular season. Taylor has the most wins in school history, compiling 239 victories over 12 seasons, but his team is 2-20 this season.
• A judge has dismissed the last remaining count in Washington State football coach Mike Leach's wrongful termination lawsuit against Texas Tech. State District Judge William Sowder ruled Texas Tech didn't violate the coach's due process rights when he was fired in December 2009.
• Robert Morris guard Ashley Ravelli was named the Northeast Conference women's basketball Rookie of the Week for the third time this season. She averaged 15.0 points against LIU Brooklyn and St. Francis (N.Y.).
— Staff and wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- 4-year-old transplant recipient Angelo Giorno dies, hospital says
- Steelers laud decision, praise Brady for taking on Goodell
- With most starters resting, Steelers turn in lackluster loss at Heinz
- Dozen injured when dump truck rear-ends Port Authority bus near Rankin Bridge
- Experts warn Kane’s Haiti trip might jeopardize any case from 2014 wiretap
- Vick supporters, opponents demonstrate before Steelers’ game, but coexist
- Steelers notebook: Thomas, Moats only starting defensive players to see action vs. Panthers
- Gay couple receives marriage license from controversial Ky. clerk’s office
- Pittsburgh Mayor Peduto: Public has stake in Penguins
- Judge will not recuse himself from Scaife case
- Liriano struggles as Brewers complete sweep of Pirates