February Frenzy: No ranking is safe this year
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The tying half-court heave at Wisconsin went in, of course. Then Kansas lost again. And in case you were asleep late Saturday night, Notre Dame took five overtimes to beat Louisville.
February Frenzy is already in full swing
Six more Top 25 teams went down Saturday, including two of the top five. When the next Associated Press poll comes out Monday, it likely will have a new No. 1 for the sixth straight week — that would be the second-longest such streak since the first rankings in 1949.
For top schools, it's been a rocky run. According to STATS, Top 25 teams lost to unranked teams 36 times from Jan. 17 to Feb. 6, the most in at least 17 years.
No. 1 Indiana, No. 2 Florida and No. 3 Michigan each dropped a game since the poll came out last Monday. The Hoosiers fell at Illinois on Thursday, and the Gators trailed by as many as 27 during the second half of a loss at Arkansas last Tuesday.
Michigan was leading Wisconsin, 60-57, on Saturday when Ben Brust got a perfect inbounds pass from Mike Bruesewitz, took one dribble across halfcourt and connected for the tying 3-pointer as time expired in regulation. Brust added another big 3-pointer in overtime to lead the Badgers to a 65-62 victory.
The fifth-ranked Jayhawks also are looking at a quick turnaround after a 72-66 loss at Oklahoma on Saturday made it a three-game slide for the storied program for the first time in eight years. They host No. 13 Kansas State on Monday.
“It hasn't been a good week for us by any stretch, but let's be real,” Kansas coach Bill Self said. “We were ranked No. 2 in the country seven days ago, and you don't go from being a good team to a bad team overnight.
“We've had a couple of bad outings, but we're still a good team.”
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Thrill of the chase: Kennywood fanatic, 82, rides Jack Rabbit 95 times in a row
- Steel Valley baseball gets another chance to advance
- Housing authority officer shot dead in New Orleans
- Summertime is the perfect opportunity to dig into a good book
- Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates past Mets
- Senior Pitchford makes Serra track history
- Chicago inmate eats screws, needles, amasses $1M medical tab
- Mercyhurst wins opener at NCAA D-II baseball championships
- Deer Lakes softball team seeks 2nd WPIAL title in 4 years
- Florida mother who refused circumcision for son, 4, freed
- Navy divers to salvage remains of Confederate warship in Georgia