College notebook: Missteps in Miami probe spur firing
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The NCAA's homegrown scandal is hitting hard at headquarters.
President Mark Emmert announced Monday that Julie Roe Lach, the vice president of enforcement, is leaving and will soon be replaced by private attorney Jonathan Duncan after her role in the botched investigation of Miami. He suggested the NCAA's board of directors and executive committee could hold him accountable for this mess, and it's not over yet.
After releasing a 55-page report detailing how the NCAA violated its own practices and policies by paying the attorney for convicted Ponzi-schemer Nevin Shapiro thousands of dollars to help with the Miami case, Emmert spent more than an hour doing damage control on the latest black eye to hit the organization.
Cal coach suspended
California coach Mike Montgomery was reprimanded by the Pac-12 for shoving one of his own players in the chest during a game.
The conference didn't say what specific punishment Montgomery received for his actions Sunday, although he won't be suspended.
The confrontation happened during a timeout in the second half of Cal's 76-68 win over USC when Montgomery yelled at star guard Allen Crabbe for nonchalant play and then shoved him in the chest with both hands.
Former Duke star dies
Duke said former star Phil Henderson has died.
Henderson, 44, was a senior captain and the leading scorer on the 1989-90 Duke basketball team that lost to UNLV in the national championship game.
Ex-coach faces tax charges
Former N.C. State basketball coach Sidney Lowe was arrested and charged with failing to file his North Carolina state income taxes.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LaBar: John Cena leaving WWE for Hollywood?
- Penn State to announce new athletic director
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season
- Washington Co. man arrested on child porn charges
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- National city organization chooses Pittsburgh for 2016 gathering
- Kerry says no deal yet for 7-day truce in Gaza
- North Huntingdon woman charged with threatening to burn down officer’s house
- Motorcycle runs off road in Butler County, kills Shaler man
- Suspended Penn-Trafford teacher charged with stalking student