College basketball notebook: Coach K won't return to lead USA Basketball
TribLIVE Sports Videos
NEW YORK — Mike Krzyzewski said again Tuesday he doesn't plan to return as U.S. men's basketball coach after leading the Americans to two Olympic gold medals.
Saying “my stance hasn't changed,” Krzyzewski told ESPN Radio he expects USA Basketball to name a new coach this summer.
The Hall of Fame Duke coach said during and after last summer's Olympics that he wasn't planning to return to the position he's held with the national team since 2005. However, he still hasn't confirmed that decision with USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo, who has said they will talk after the college season.
“We're in a good spot,” Krzyzewski said. “We need to keep building.”
Krzyzewski led the Americans to Olympic gold in 2008 and 2012 and a world basketball championship in 2010.
The Americans qualified for the 2014 World Cup of Basketball in Spain by winning gold in London. Colangelo originally said he planned to name a new coach around the new year but put off those plans so he could talk to Krzyzewski after the Blue Devils' season.
The delay created speculation Krzyzewski was open to a return, but he told ESPN Radio that USA Basketball wouldn't make an announcement during the season, anyway.
Big 12 admits ref gaffes
The Big 12 says officiating errors were made at the end of regulation before No. 6 Kansas beat Iowa State in overtime Monday night.
The league said “appropriate measures will be taken” against the two officials involved, including an adjustment of “the number of future assignments.”
Kansas's Elijah Johnson drove into the lane and got tangled up with Iowa State's Georges Niang with less than 10 seconds left. No foul was called, and Niang was then whistled for fouling Johnson on the floor. Johnson sank two free throws to force OT with 4.9 seconds left.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Pitt survives Oakland’s upset bid with 81-77 overtime victory
- Game Commission aims to settle controversy through study
- Pair of NYC officers killed in ambush shooting
- Star Hayward enjoys go-to role for St. Francis (Pa.)
- Pittsburgh police break up customer fights over Air Jordan 11 shoes
- Frye: Early peek at 2015 seasons
- 3 charged in East Deer home invasion
- Penguins missing Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams; prized prospect Pouliot called up
- ‘Collector’ exhibit shows another side of famed photographer Michals
- Service with a smile: Win at gift-giving with in-home indulgences