College basketball notebook: Duquesne's Colter makes Atlantic 10 all-rookie team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Duquesne freshman Derrick Colter was named to the Atlantic 10 all-rookie team on Tuesday in voting by the league's head coaches. The 5-foot-11, 175-pound guard from Forestville, Md., was the first underclassman to lead the Dukes (8-22) in scoring (13.5 ppg) and assists (5.2 apg). He was the lone Duquesne player to start all 30 games and averaged a team-high 32.2 minutes per game. Temple's Khalif Wyatt was named A-10 Player of the Year.
• Georgetown 6-foot-8 sophomore Otto Porter Jr. was the unanimous choice as Big East Player of the Year, and the Hoyas' John Thompson III was named the Coach of the Year, more than three decades after his father won the award for the first time. JaKarr Sampson is the second straight St. John's player to be selected Rookie of the Year.
• Siena fired coach Mitch Buonaguro after three years following a 24-loss season that tied the school's record for futility. Buonaguro went 35-59 with the Saints, never finishing the season with a winning record.
• Missouri-Kansas City fired coach Matt Brown after six seasons. Brown, a former assistant coach at West Virginia under John Beilein, was 64-122 with the ‘Roos, including an 8-24 record this season.
— Staff and wire reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cole outduels Mets rookie, carries Pirates to victory
- Look for 1st rate hike this year, Yellen says
- Hempfield pair caught in vehicle scam
- Pirates notebook: Stewart, Cole develop rapport
- Murray, Alpha notify West Virginia coal miners of layoffs
- PIAA track and field notebook: Burrell’s Scherer, Valley’s Walters set to race again
- Online donors help Hempfield teen whose wallet was stolen
- Allegheny County cutting ties with Corizon Health after deaths of 2 inmates at county jail
- Knoch’s Geist captures PIAA discus title
- WPIAL players take control of early rounds at PIAA tennis tournament
- Pirates’ McCutchen laughs off pay stub leak